Chapter Two - Not So Perfect Me

Two years.

Two years had passed since me and Kenric became friends. He had started as my only friend, but soon we both had several friends. We were always together, even if it was just a few of us. Even if none of our other friends met together me and Kenric did. 

I have to say, two years seems like a long time, but it felt like two weeks. But despite the stress of school, and people pressuring me to manifest, he was the highlight of it all.

"Oralie!" Kenric yelled from behind me, giving me his big toothy grin. I turned from my locker to him as he raced towards me. "I knew it!"

"Knew what?" I asked, curiously leaning forward.

"Telepath!"

"Telepath? What about telepath?" I cocked my head, looking up at him as he stopped right in front of me. 

"I manifested! Just last night. I wanted to hail you and tell you, but I wanted to do it in person. I just knew I would be a telepath!" 

I could feel my eyes grow wide and my mouth drop open. "Really? No way! I'm so happy for you!" Suddenly, out of nowhere Kenric leaned down and pulled me into a hug, lifting me off the floor and spinning me. I didn't hesitate to throw my arms around him, laughing. Ever since we met I knew he had hoped to be a telepath more then anything. He had also worried he might not manifest, seeing as he had a few cousins who hadn't. 

"I cant believe it! Mother and Father are so proud. They said they were gonna throw a party to celebrate it." His grin widened. I couldn't help but smile at the proud look in his eyes, it was kinda cute- wait, what? No. Not cute. Just... sweet? "Your gonna be there, right?"

"Of course! Wouldn't miss it." I said with a wide smile, although I knew it was a possibility my parents wouldn't let me.

"Maybe we could be celebrating you too. If you manifest in ability detecting-" He stopped when I groaned.

"Ugh. I completely forgot I had that today." I facepalmed, and Kenric grimaced his wide grin faltering for a moment.

"Hey, at least you still have Cyrah, Prentice and Alden going with you." He said, playfully shoving me. 

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, but there probably just gonna flirt the entire time as usual and Juline will just gossip." I whined. Don't get me wrong, I loved my friends, but sometimes I rather preferred my first and closest friend. "And besides, they're testing us for Frosters today."

Kenric hesitated, "Good luck with that..." He said with a sheepish grin. It still didn't diminish the proud gleam in his eyes. 

I smiled, nudging him playfully. "I'm somewhat jealous of you. Gotta say, Telepath is a big deal." He grinned, then shrugged. 

"I'm just exited for the party. Its Friday night. My parents said their gonna invite everyone they know." I internally cringed. Yeah, I was happy for him. But it hurt at the same time. His parents always celebrated each accomplishment he made, and despite him being quite the troublesome guy, he had a lot of those. You didnt have to know him long to know his parents were proud. Why wouldn't they be?

I immediately felt guilty when I could feel my jealousy flare. 

I had always wanted parents like that. Parents who would be proud of my every accomplishment, throw a party in my favor... but that would never happen. "I can't wait. Hopefully I can go." 

Kenrics wide grin grew even more, "Can't wait either. See you later!" He said as he rushed to class, oblivious. I smiled after him, sighing in his wake.

---

Focusing in class after that became something akin to impossible. I was raking my mind trying to find a way to ask my parents. The only way I could think to get them to let me, was for them to go to. But no way on earth was I letting that happen. Kenric didn't know about my parents. All he knew was they had strict rules. He didn't know what they expected of me. 

No one knew besides me. 

I could live with the pressure they gave me. I could live with being a failure to them, but the one thing I couldn't deal with? I couldn't deal with the sympathy. I didn't want people looking at me like I was some broken toy.

So I put up a perfect picture, making them believe me to have the perfect life.

They didn't need to know what effect my parents words had on me. So all they saw of me was something that seemed real but wasn't. 

Perfect life.

Perfect family.

Just not so perfect me.

Sooooo sorry guys! I have not updated in ages!! I have been stuck on this story, and I was updating on my other story 24/7... Okay enough excuses.

Anyways, I have finished my other story, so to all you Sokeefe shippers its called Swan Song. Hope you like it!!

Also, yes there is a very large time gap. Sorry bout that. I am just trying to fit from when to meet to becoming councilors...