xxviii

Goodbye,

I know you are not reading this because you no longer read the things I write for you but I wanted to say thank you, anyway. We did not know each other for very long but you somehow managed to teach me things no one else had ever dared to. For example, that no matter how many locks I put up, the right person will always effortlessly find the key. That, I cannot have everything I want no matter how right, good, perfect or star-aligning it feels. That, some things were meant to die, and pieces of you are meant to go with it in order to make room for the new.

I hope you are doing better than when I knew you. I hope you are less likely to run than to love. I hope you finish writing that book you still struggle to make sense. I hope you eventually win that bet against your friend. You are still the most focused person I know.

In the case that you are reading this, you would be happy to know I am over you now. Fully. I know I have said that many times before but this time is different. Really. I know this because when I think of you, it does not hurt anymore, like I am reopening a wound that never really got everything it needed to heal over. Well, now I have rid my body off all the toxins and taken the right antibiotics that my skin needed to re-cover all the areas you left gaping and bleeding. When I scratch at the surface, like I am right now, I feel nothing except myself. I know you will find the irony in that. That it took writing poetry about you to get over you. I know you will find the symbolism in that, that you were a drug I had overdosed on too early but that I now take in para-rhymes and haikus to feel better.

I hope there is someone else out there that will know you that well.

I hope they are good enough for you in all the ways that I was not.

I hope you are happier.

Yours truly, no one

Author's Note

Only one poem left!

Today's dedication goes to fleurissements because her comments get to me guys. Like really. Thank you for your love and support I appreciate that so much! Readers if you haven't been dedicated yet drop the pen emoji in the comment section (and vote) and I'll pick from there! This is your last chance to get a poem dedicated to you so feel free to go off!

 Thank you for your love and support I appreciate that so much! Readers if you haven't been dedicated yet drop the pen emoji in the comment section (and vote) and I'll pick from there! This is your last chance to get a poem dedicated to you so fee...