𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱

August 13th, 1989

"Motherfucker!" You cry out, turning over to inspect your throbbing knee. You hadn't listened when Ben told you that you were standing directly on top of the trapdoor which led to his super-secret surprise. You laid there with your face in the dirt for what felt like forever before finally, the sound of creaking wood filled your ears as the rest of the losers made their way down the steep scrap wood staircase.

"I'm sorry, I should have warned you," Ben smiled guiltily as he offered you a hand up. You wiped your dusty palms on your overalls and grabbed him by the forearm, hissing as you were lifted to your feet. Neglecting his offer for more help, you waved him off and decided to ignore the stinging pain.

"You alright down there (Y/N/N)?" Richie choked between fits of laughter. You didn't have to see him to tell that he was laughing his ass off at the sight of your big tumble. He stood directly in front of the sun, appearing as a dark silhouette outlined in sunlight. You cupped your hands against your eyes and called back; "Why don't you come down here and find out!"

Cowering directly behind Ben was Eddie. The short brunette boy was staring intensely at your wound as if you were going to bleed out any second. With one hand he dug deep into his bright red fanny pack and produced a single tan bandaid. With a shaky hand, he reached out and offered it to you along with a tube of Neosporin. "C-Can you take care of that, please?"

With a roll of the eyes, you took the bandage and slapped it onto your leg, handing the medicine back to Eddie who dropped it into his pack before zipping it up tight in one quick movement. Once the shock wore off and your breath returned to your lungs, you finally had the sense to look around. The super-secret surprise was way cooler than you had first imagined.

The dugout had been roofed by leaves and twigs, allowing sharp rays of sunlight to peek through and illuminate your surroundings. Movie posters were tacked against the walls and a few bean bag chairs were scattered all around. There was a short end table filled with lanterns, snacks, and comic books. "Woah."

As you explored the cozy space, Eddie prodded Ben for failing safety procedures in the background. Apparently, the dugout was an abandoned nuclear fallout shelter built in the early '50s as cold war tensions were increasing. You nodded along as Ben explained this, ignoring Eddie as he inspected every nook and cranny of the room. 

 You found a spot in the corner where a plank of wood jutted out from the wall and made a nice little bench. You sat down and propped up your leg, finally taking the time to inspect the damages. It was only a scraped knee and the pain was already fading. You knew better than to complain about that in front of Eddie, though.

With nothing else to do, you reached into your back pocket and felt around before pulling out the secret treasure you had acquired on your way there. A long, silver switchblade that had been sitting on the forest floor near the barrens underneath the kissing bridge. With one flick of your thumb, the blade was extended and you admired the way the light from above bounced off of the sleek surface. You played with it for a moment, making sweeping motions and watching the light dance along the dirty walls.

A little way to your left, the boys were arguing over who got to sit in the dirty looking hammock which was suspended in the air by two industrial hooks bolted to the suspension beams. As Richie and Eddie wrestled for a spot, the bolts wiggled in place and tufts of dust fell onto their heads. Yeah, no thanks, you thought.

Instead, you began scratching into the wooden bench with the tip of the knife. In long strokes, you began carving letters. First, an L, followed by an unintentionally pointed O. By the time you were done, the words you had spelled out were barely legible but you were satisfied nonetheless. With one hand, you brushed away the shavings and sharper bits that poked out of your carving.