Chapter 4

Today was the day of the Slytherin Quidditch trials.

It was a Saturday afternoon and I was just standing there with the Nimbus Two Thousand I had received the previous year.

Blaise was in one of the seats, preparing to watch the trial.

However, I couldn't see Anja anywhere. I frowned. That was odd.

Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around, expecting to see Draco, Sirius or Flint standing there.

To my surprise, it was Anja.

"Hi, Anja," I greeted her. She nodded in reply. "Are you trying out? And what for?"

"Beater. Hopefully we both get the position, so we can actually work together. Not like you and that other Beater last year," she explained.

"Fair enough," I agreed.

Last year, the other Beater had been one of Flint's closest friends. We hadn't gotten on at all.

His idea of an interesting conversation was talking about all the achievements he had received while at Hogwarts, even though it was rumoured he had only received two OWLs. I thought that was probably true.

As for his arrogance, well, it should suffice to say that it dwarfed that of Gilderoy Lockhart.

Finally, the tryouts began. The Chaser tryouts were first. The positions were the same as last year. Flint, Sirius and the other sixth-year boy got the position.

Next were the Beater tryouts.We were each given a bat. A Bludger would then be released. We had to hit it as hard as we could and whoever hit it the furthest would win.

I lined up in front of Anja.

After what seemed like forever, it was finally my turn. There were about 15 people trying out.

I hit the Bludger as hard as I could and it flew off, over the towers of Hogwarts, before it finally came back.

According to Flint, it was a 'good attempt' and it was Anja's turn.

She didn't get it as far as I did, but she came close.

At the end of the Beater tryouts, all of us who'd tried out stood around Flint anxiously.

He was going to be biased, I knew that, but the guy who'd been Beater last year hadn't tried out this year.

So maybe Anja and I had a chance.

He proceeded to read out a list of everyone who'd tried out and how far they'd gotten their Bludger.

"Jade Evans. Other end of Hogwarts. Impressive. Receives position."

Everyone applauded.

Flint's bias luckily hadn't cost me the position, but then again, I was the daughter of the Head of Slytherin House.

"Anja Pansé. Around Astronomy, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw Towers. Quite good. Receives position."

Anja was the other Beater!

She grinned at me.

He finished reading out the names.

The Keeper tryouts went fine, the position was taken by the same person who had had it last year.

Then came the Seeker tryouts. "The Seeker is Draco Malfoy. We do not need tryouts as we have had private tryouts."

Some people stirred uneasily and glanced at the seats. Mr Malfoy was seated there, regarding everyone with great superiority.