Chapter 2: Microwave go brr

"It's quite simple, I guess." Recovery Girl noted. "A student comes in aching, I kiss them to heal them, then you give them a little tap and they're as good as new!"

"Seems like a good setup, although when I went to school, I would have been livid to have nurses like us. No such thing as faking sick to go home early."

"At UA, even the best of students have no time to waste. You'll see that soon enough," she informed me.

Being the first day of school, we were expecting it to be radio silent.

We were proved wrong.

"Excuse me?"

Recovery Girl and I, who had been gossiping, abruptly turned to the student.

He didn't look very special, besides the fact that the mop atop his head was forest green. Freckles dappled his round face, which matched his squeaky voice.

"I- I hurt my hand during my test today..."

"Well, we'll get you fixed right up, dear," Recovery Girl assured him. Before I even had time to process what happened, Recovery Girl had healed it.

"Wow, thanks!" He sputtered. "That was amazing!"

I reached past Recovery Girl to boop the young boy on his nose.

And so, my quirk activated.

Watching someone "recharge" never got boring. First, you notice their muscles relaxing. Shoulders droop, hands unclench, jaws slack, and eyes droop momentarily. Out of nowhere, a light will ignite within their eyes. Not literally- but you can almost see the power recover behind their eyes. After that, you notice the erasure of sleep-related features; bags erase instantly, eyes no longer are red. They then always snap upright. Their muscles tense once more, pulsating with energy. They then take a deep breath and turn to me.

And then they thank me.

       The boy left soon after.

       "The poor boy's hand was completely shattered!" She complained. "During the entrance exam, the same boy broke both of his arms and legs. His quirk, it's too powerful for his body," she explained.

"I guess we'll be seeing more of him," I sighed. She hummed in response and pulled out some crocheting needles.

"Do me a favor dear, and fill out the paperwork. My eyes aren't what they used to be,"

"Of course!" I sputtered. I shuffled my hands around her desk, sifting for the proper forms.

I held a pen between my teeth as a scanned my form. Name, grade, class, homeroom teacher, injury, time stamp, and outcome. Fair enough. Recovery girl told me what she knew as I inscribed the forms.

"And he's class 1A, dear,"

"What teacher?"

"Oh, that's Shota. Actually, write Mr Aizawa," she informed me.

"And who is he? For future reference, I'm trying to learn the rest of the staff."

"Oh, he's tall, long black hair, always has a scarf. He dresses in all black, usually pretty scruffy looking. He's quite a dear, though," she described.

"Crap!" I exclaimed. "I knocked that guy over this morning," I laughed.

"Oh, he can be a grumpy one. I'm sorry, dear," she responded.

"Speaking of staff, are we allowed in the teacher's lounge? I'd love to be able to use the microwave to heat up my lunch."

"Yes, although one of us needs to be here at all times. I rarely went because there was no one else here," she explained. "Now you're here to help me out, so it's no problem, dear."

"Great, thanks!"

The rest of the day passed without incident, and I scurried back home as soon as my shift was over.

"Mom, I'm home!"

At thirty, I still lived with my mother. I wasn't ashamed at all- she needed me to take care of her. My father was never in the picture, and it's always been just us.

My mom and I were the best of friends, and we split the rent equally. We were able to afford a nice little bungalow. We decorated it almost like a cottage, despite the fact it was in the outskirts of the city.

My cat, c/n, harassed me for dinner as soon as I walked through the door.

"Alright, alright, calm down baby,"

The next day, I got up and dragged myself back to UA. Knowing I had access to a microwave, I simply brought last night's leftovers to work with me for lunch.

Walking in with an iced coffee for myself and a hot tea with honey and lemon for Recovery Girl, I hastily greeted Nemuri and Principal Nezu, who were chatting.

       Midoriya returned to the office again, and we fixed him, again. He left, and we knew he would be returning, again.

       Around 12:30, I excused myself from the office to go hear up my leftovers. The students were eating lunch as well, so the chances of a student needing aid were substantially lower.

      The teachers lounge was empty.

       I punched in two minutes into the microwave, hoping that was a good equilibrium between eating frozen solid food and blowing it up.

       As I watched the plate rotate around, and around, and around, and around again, I heard the door open.

       A large, yellow, object slid in on the floor.

      ... was it someone's quirk? Was there a caterpillar teacher?

       "Um, hello,"

       The yellow caterpillar stopped. It rolled over, and a somewhat familiar face was poking out of a hole in the side.

       He stared me down. 

       His eyes were red. They stared into my soul. I shivered.

      "Um, you're Shota Aizawa right...? I'm sorry for bumping into you yesterday morning,"

       "Yeah," he replied. He then inched over to the couch and slithered up. "I'm taking a nap. Don't bother me,"

       And like that he was out.

       I didn't reply; I stood in stunned silence.

      The microwave went off behind me, making as much noise as, well, a microwave going off. He didn't even flinch. He was out cold.

       I stared blankly.

       He was really out.

       I gave up trying to rationalize what was happening and went back to the nurses office.