Chapter Two - A Breath Of Fresh Air

____________________________________________________________

Two Days Later...

____________________________________________________________

"What are you doing?"

Kiyoshi rubbed his forehead as he slowly lowered his feet to the floor, the pain from his wound flaring for a moment before fading. He'd just awoken from a thankfully dreamless sleep. He wasn't really intending on slipping back into unconsciousness lest he once again be plagued by the echoes of the Necrolord's taunts.

"I'm... getting out of bed," Kiyoshi replied. It was Nitsuke who had spoken.

The Chronicler put the book that she had been carrying onto the hall's floor and walked into the room. "And why are you doing such, Captain?" she asked, raising a condescending eyebrow.

"Because..." Kiyoshi began. He met Nitsuke's eyes and looked away in shame. "Because I can't just handle staying here and doing nothing as the kingdom I made an oath to protect is being ravaged by the Netherans. I want to stand up and I want to fight! But... I just... can't."

"You will only slow the healing process if you exert yourself like this, Kiyoshi." She resisted putting a hand on his shoulder, instead locking with his eyes in an intense stare. "Just... lay back down."

Kiyoshi weakly nodded. "Y-You're right." With a heavy sigh, he went back to lying down on the bed. Nitsuke's eyes widened. She had expected a little more resistance from him, but apparently it was not to be.

The former Captain laughed a little. "Where did you get all this wisdom from?"

She scoffed weakly. "I don't think I have much... 'wisdom'," she started, waiting a moment before taking a seat on the edge of the bed, taking to fingering the covers slightly, picking at loose threads. "I just read what other people have written and learn from them. I doubt I could ever come up with something original." She looked up at him once more. "But I understand what you're feeling, Kiyoshi, at least in part. It's difficult to stand idly by while all these bad things are happening." She sighed, the heavy weight pressing down on her heart once again. She felt like she was choking, and she swallowed the knot of emotion in her throat before continuing. "I wish I could help, too, but... what good am I? I'm just an amateur Chronicler from Northwind."

Nitsuke suddenly caught herself and pushed her glasses up her nose nervously. "I-I'm sorry," she stammered. "I-I... hah, I shouldn't be bothering you, burdening you with this."

"What?" Kiyoshi asked. It made him upset to see her like this. He wanted her to be happy. Or more accurately, he wanted to make her happy. He couldn't really understand the feeling. It was just lingering within him, itching for an opportunity to present itself. "Nitsuke, you have nothing to apologize for. And besides, you've already helped a lot. If it weren't for you, I'd probably be dead. Just think about that!"

She remained silent, her eyes finding something, anything to look at but him. She smiled sadly. "If it were that simple, I'd have already thought about it days ago."

"Just don't be so harsh on yourself," Kiyoshi told her. "I think you're a great person. In fact I can't say I've ever known someone like you before. I think you're special and amazing."

Nitsuke smiled and looked down, her cheeks blushing pink for a moment. "I can't say I'd believe it myself..." Her voice was nearly a whisper as she continued. "But I thank you for that encouragement, Kiyoshi."

"Well, I'm the Captain, or, was the Captain. It's what I do. Boost people's morale." Kiyoshi shrugged. "All I'm saying is... believe in yourself. Because I know I already believe in you."