Chapter Four - An Unexpected Alliance

____________________________________________________________

Five Days Later...

____________________________________________________________

Kiyoshi awoke from his sleep as he felt something nudge him. He sat up in bed and looked around, wondering what was going on.

"Kiyoshi, you need to hide. Now. If they find you, they'll surely kill you." It was Nitsuke, and she was the one who had woken him.

He looked into her eyes and saw the fear in them. "Wait, who?" Kiyoshi asked in a hushed voice, gripping her arm. "The Netherans? Did they find us?"

"There's no time, Kiyoshi. Alec didn't tell me everything himself, but they're here, and it's dangerous. Hide, please."

Kiyoshi nodded without another word, sliding his hand down to take her hand and pulling her into the next room and into a closet. He left a crack in the closet's door to see through. There was a window where they could vaguely see the scene outside, but from this angle nobody could see the two of them.

Nitsuke's heart pounded in her chest at the sight of the hulking Netherans. Four of them, all armed. What were they here for?

"We're on the lookout for fugitives, rebels of the Netheran diplomacy, anyone who could pose a threat to the supreme Pythus," the Netheran in the middle boomed, his voice dual-toned and ominous.

"Oh, have no fear. I wish you no trouble. This is my place," Alec told them, lying. The plan was for Nitsuke and Kiyoshi to hide while he convinced them to leave, for both were important figures in the war who they'd recognize and go after for certain. Alec, on the other hand, was only a deputy. His hair wasn't as slick as it used to be and he wore different clothes too, so with luck, he would just be taken as a mundane citizen. "I live here on my own."

Nitsuke tried to calm her breathing. They couldn't find them here... right? Her heart was pounding, and she clung to Kiyoshi, burying her face in his chest, tears welling in her eyes and wetting his shirt. What was going to happen?

Kiyoshi ran a hand through her hair to comfort her, all the while watching the Netherans and Alec talk and paying great attention.

"It's protocol that we have to scan the house," one of the Netherans off to the side informed. "Step aside."

"Uh, no, that won't be necessary. It'd be a waste of your time too." Alec shook his head. "Surely you'll have more progress elsewhere."

"Please, don't leave me," Nitsuke whispered to Kiyoshi, clinging to him tighter.

"Of course not, I promised I'd protect you, and I will," Kiyoshi replied.

"Move aside, human, or you will be moved," the first Netheran said. He turned back to the conversation outside.

"You're not just gonna invade my house!" Alec protested.

"Hold it," a third Netheran interjected, turning to the first one. "He seems familiar."

The third Netheran walked up to Alec and removed the cloak he was wearing, only to expose the gold sword in its sheath strapped to his waist.

"A gold weapon. Signature of former Captain Kiyoshi's forces," the third Netheran said. He turned to the first Netheran, expecting him to give the others an order in response to this new revelation.

The leader tilted his head down, inspecting Alec for a moment. "Take him."

"I don't think so," Alec said, before the others could even turn back to face him. Quickly, Alec unsheathed the sword and engaged in battle with the third Netheran, the nearest one to him. After a few clashes, he managed to stab the Netheran. The fourth Netheran—the only one who hadn't yet spoken—then tackled him to the ground, but Alec managed to squirm away and took off running.