soulmate au lol

I feel like new soulmate stuff is being invented every day and I am LIVING for it

oh and also this whole story is heavily inspired by the latest oneshot in the wonderful book made by NarcissisticA2H (who is a SEVERELY underrated author so pls go check that book out its great)
(give them a follow too because they deserve it)

au: Everyone has a string in the shape of a heart embedded in their wrist, coloured to match their soulmate's favourite one. When you come in contact with your soulmate for the first time, the string begins to glow. Afterwards, you can easily take it out of your skin without leaving a mark. However, there's been rumors of soulmates who were never destined to be...

angst with a bit of fluff at the end

warnings: none

--

Clay ran his thumb over the string, admiring the pink colour. It was never his favourite, yet he always had a knack for it's bright tone. It was special to his soulmate, and that's all that mattered.

He looked up after a few moments, moving his focus to his friend's house. The snow-covered abode had a peaceful vibe to it, much unlike the chaotic persona portrayed online by the one who lived inside. There was even a snowman in the front lawn, topped with a carrot nose, mittens and a scarf. Clay just guessed that's what the winter snow did to everything.

Pulling down his sleeve, Clay opened his car door and instantly felt the temperature drop. He exited the comfortable vehicle and shut the door behind him, shivering from the vast change. Not wanting to waste time or stay in the cold, he marched up to the front door, rapping on it. When he got no answer, he knocked again, frowning.

"One second--Ow! Shit..."

Surprised, Clay laughed, only being able to imagine what whoever was inside had knocked down accidentally. He waited for a whole minute longer before the door flew open, revealing the face of a good friend of his--Dave. "Hey. Sorry about that. C'mon in." He stepped aside and opened the door wider, allowing a clear path for Clay to enter.

The place was nice. Really nice, even, with leather sofas and picture frames displaying the cheerful faces of family members. The occasional plant would decorate the corners or appear on coffee tables as a small succulent, a vase with roses even sitting on a table next to the doorway and giving the entry hall a pleasant smell.

"So," Dave spoke, closing the door behind his shorter friend, "Since this is the first time you've been over, I guess I could show you where everything is. Unless you're just wanting to relax for now. That's fine, too."

His social anxiety was apparent in the way he spoke. He'd talk so fast that he would fumble his words and even stutter at some points, hands shoved into his jacket pockets to avoid awkward hand gestures. It wasn't all that noticeable unless you listened, though. Clay did listen, taking every single word and running it through his mind.

He nodded in response, genuinely interested in seeing the rest of the house. "We can do a little house tour. Your place looks pretty great from what I've seen far." Dave smiled at the compliment and looked at the ground, a light shade of pink dusting his cheeks. The colour reminded Clay once more of the heart-shaped string on his wrist, just then being reminded to check his friend's. His was lime green--Clay's own favourite colour. It was quite the coincidence, really.

The two eventually made their way upstairs after touring the downstairs, which was a pleasant surprise for Clay. On the upper level, they went through the guest bedroom and bathroom without any troubles, the shorter of the two making a few flirtatious comments as he was showed Dave's room that made the reciever blush furiously.

The tour was concluded with Dave's bedroom, Dave himself climbing into his bed and throwing the covers over his head as Clay made a remark about there being enough space for the both of them. What the green-clad boy said was, in actuality, something he longed for. He'd give anything to feel the embrace of the one who he could only hope was his soulmate. Playing it off as nothing but a joke was difficult when butterflies danced around in your stomach every second and your heart ached, however, but Clay managed.

He smiled, creeping up next to his friend and reaching his arms out to grab the sheets covering his head. Gripping the edge of the blanket, he pulled it back, watching fear settle on Dave's features as he looked up at the person who now towered over him. "Nononononono-" he yelled, trying to escape as Clay threw himself onto the bed. The two wrestled for a few minutes, laughing as one of them tried to get away.

It was when both of them felt a searing pain going up their arms did they cut it out, Dave falling off the bed. Clay couldn't see the other's reaction, yet he knew from the sharp intake of breath that it wasn't a positive one. Looking down at his own wrist, he watched in fear as the string's light pink heart shape turned to a charred mess resting in his palm. He felt so many emotions at once-- despair, terror, shock and just the realization that this was happening.

Feeling as if his entire world had just collapsed, he watched Dave stand up and look at him with wide eyes. The eyes that were full of life in every video chat they've done now filled with the terrible emotions that Clay felt, brimmed with tears to top it all off.

They were soulmates, yes, but as the legends told, not meant to be. Bound to break apart one day like the sandcastles made by children, washed away by the tide. It wasn't meant to be possible.

--

Clay shot up, breathing heavily. It was dark out, and he was laying in bed with nobody beside him. His wrist had no marking on it--a symbol of what was supposed to be a myth.

The door opened, and in came Dave. "I heard something," he said in a low and comforting voice, only loud enough for the other to hear, as if someone else would know what he was saying if he spoke any louder. "Did you have that dream again?" Clay nodded, causing the one he loved so dearly to frown. In a swift motion, Dave was beside him, whispering comforting phrases as he wrapped his arms around his lover.

"It feels so real every time," Clay whispered, already relaxing a bit from Dave's help. "It's like I'm reliving that moment again and again."

Dave shushed him, moving to where he was leaning against the back of the bed with Clay in his arms. "Do you remember what I told you that night two years ago after you ran out of my house? When I found you under the old graffiti-covered bridge? I told you that no matter what shit we go through, we'll always get past it as long as we're together. That no silly string can morph our futures. You'll always be my soulmate, whether our string's crumpled or not."

Smiling, Clay began to forget about the horrible nightmare he had. "Because you love me?" he asked, looking up at his boyfriend.

"Because I love you," Dave replied. He gave his beloved a soft kiss and ruffled his hair, laughing at the attempt made to fix it.

The two fell asleep there and slept through the rest of the night, their dreams of love rather than an unfortunate outcome. And, in the morning, both of them were still in love, just as they were two years before. Just as how they intended it to be for the rest of their days.