7 - No Rest for the Wicked

There is beauty in death. 

That was what she believed, what she knew, as the truth. The only truth she could see as the Angel with her face walked away. Sure, the boy was pretty cute, but her twin... Her twin was something else. Wolfie rubbed her arm where the outline of Lexie's claws had pierced her skin. So beautiful. She turned her attention to the fallen wig and contact lens. Such a relief – not having to pretend anymore. The lens had itched so much that she'd been tempted to pull her own eye out. Now it didn't matter anymore. The big reveal was coming. The big bang, the fireworks. Halve, she was excited. She'd been waiting for this for three-hundred years – what was another day or two? Beside her, a potted plant fell onto the pavement. She jerked her head.

"Discreet as always gentlemen". The Vaskel responsible jumped up from behind the wall. He holstered his gun – not that he needed it anyway - and stalked across the road towards her.

"Why did you let them go?" he snarled. Wolfie shrugged.

"I felt like it? I dunno. I'm a psychopath dearie. Being unpredictable is in the job description". She kicked the remains of the plant pot until they were unrecognisable.

"Well, it isn't in mine," he paused, nodding to the bushes for the other Vaskels to emerge. "Have you talked to James yet?"

"He's not my keeper," she snapped.

"He sure seems to act like it". They both fell silent, before she groaned and held out her hand. The Vaskel dug around in his pockets, then dropped a small crystal into her palm. It was a Wayward Crystal, one that allowed communication from one Vaskelian Dynasty to another. As Wolfie took it, it glowed bright white.

"Are you going to tell him about the Halver boy? The one that attacked Alexa? He's going to want to be informed of any anomalies," said the Vaskel. He should have known that Wolfie had stopped listening a while ago. When he was just about to repeat himself, she answered,

"No, I'm not. I have to keep a few little goodies for myself now, don't I?" She may have posed it like question, but the Vaskel knew it wasn't one. The Wayward Crystal finally flickered and shone brighter. At last.

"Who is this?" A voice so smooth you'd think it was made of silk.

"'Ello, it's your favourite pizza delivery service. What can I get you?" Wolfie's face shimmied into a smile.

"Hello, Witch," greeted the voice.

"Hello Lordy".

"Do you have them? The boy and my sister?"

"Oh no, I called just to have a nice chat," she said. "You know how much I miss our little talks".

"He wants progress. I'm not about to let Him down," the voice growled.

"Is that fear I smell? Ooh, it is! Why should I even bother helping when hearing you so afraid makes me feel this tingly?"

"Because it's your head on the block too, not just mine". Wolfie threw the Crystal up and caught it in her other hand.

"My head has always been on the block. What makes it any different this time?" she asked.

"Just get them to me. You gave me his mother, what makes him so much harder to acquire?" it sighed. "Follow them. Keep an eye on my sister especially".

"Why? It's you I'd be worried about. Lexie will be coming after you like a shot," she remarked, enjoying the game.

"I know that!" His voice was so loud that the Crystal nearly shattered.

"Did I strike a nerve or is it Tuesday already?"

"If you're not going to be reasonable," the voice began.