Chapter - 1

Urmila's p.o.v. ~

Out of doctor's medical terms what I managed to understand is that due to rise in blood pressure during pregnancy that resulted in leakage of blood from the vessels. Also, Why I puked blood.

I pushed away the quilt from me, the chilly breeze found my skin instantly. Carefully I put a leg down on the floor, the other following. Vanessa had instructed me to walk, twice-thrice a day to ensure a normal delivery. She knew how scared I was to get my belly torn and stitched. Not that I was more concerned about my appearance but surgery was never a good news to me.

I did as instructed.

While walking I got in touch with more patients, ready to be a mother soon. People more welcoming than that I've lived with.

Screams were heard of the ones taken to the operation theater as our room lies in the middle of the way. Screams that sent shivers down my spine.

How hurtful was it to be a mother physically? How pleasurable was it to be a mother in all means?

The fellow to-be-mothers had their different views over what baby child they want. A boy child or a girl child. Some were already feeling a baby boy resembling their beloved husband. While some chuckled when said, "My husband wishes for a baby girl, to live with a baby me as he couldn't meet me in our childhood. "

The thought itself was cute, deep, annoying?

Where was my husband? He hasn't seen me since a few months. The letters I had found in his locker, the letters of love, for love, from love. The letters that made him raise a hand over me, the letters that gave me a realization that perhaps you can win a wife's tag from a man but not the man.

He hadn't come to see me, not yesterday, neither with the breaking of this very day. Perhaps he won't come tomorrow.

I didn't know, whether to expect a son like him. Whether to expect a girl thirsty of love, like me.

                              ~ • ~

December 26th, 10:30 p.m.

A sudden pain rose near my abdominal area. With no chance of second thoughts I realized this is it! Creases found my forehead, so did sweat.

The screams I released filled the room, nurses hurried up in my direction and with no delay I was taken inside the operation theater.

In my slightly conscious state, I found everything interesting. How the cleansed, how they put a cut down there, how I felt bubbles inside my womb. All of it. Not that every woman is unconscious during delivery of a baby, but you know that intoxication and panic won't make you feel any consciousness even if you are.

"Is it done, already?" I mumbled looking down at Vanessa who was doing my stitchings down there.

"You got no patience, have you? " She frowned.

I gave her a sly smile.

It was a baby girl, I stole a glance at her before the nurses took her away for a bath and wiping all the blood off her tiny body.

The happiness of having given birth to a soul, such a pretty baby had itself given my the strength of walking out of the ward to where I'd been resting before delivering the baby.

While walking a saw similar figures at a distance, my father-in-law, mother-in-law, my husband, also his brother. All had come. Except my mother-in-law as she had come before them, and was making cute small woollen sweater for the baby. She's really skilled.