Soldier

"Oh Bright, would you stop leering at Metawin?"

Bright jumps in his seat and shoots a look at Tay as he takes a seat beside him.

It's only been a couple of days since The kids birthday, and he's seen Win at work since then. Nothing seems all that different. Win still teases him about stupid shit and calls him out on everything he does wrong and talks way too much. He thought, maybe, that things were changing. Win kissed him. Well-he kissed his cheek. But still, that's something. And he thought that for Win that it was something big. However, he worked with him yesterday and he was so nonchalant about everything. Win rambled on about an apartment he'd been looking into and then spent a good half hour debating what to make for dinner.

And really, he's not actually complaining. Sure he thought something was changing, but that doesn't mean he needs something to change. He's okay with friendship. Win needs friendship, he knows this. And he truly values Win friendship.

"Not leering," is all Bright says, rolling his eyes. He does, however, look down at the table in front of him instead of Win, who is in the front of the room laughing with Gun and New.

"What's going on between the two of you?" he presses.

Bright doesn't dignify Tay's question with a response. He hopes maybe that'll shut him up, but he knows better than that.

"Because you guys are very friendly with each other. And you aren't exactly subtle with all the looks, you know."

Bright finally turns to look at his friend. "You done?"

"Not particularly," Tay says with a huge grin on his face.

"Nothing's going on there. He's a rookie. He's my partner, that's all."

Tay raises an eyebrow. "Your partner?"

"You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

Bright clears his throat. "Just drop it. It's nothing."

Tay just chuckles in response, clapping a hand on Bright's shoulder in a supportive manner.

"We're working through the new year. How unfair. I'm ringing in the new year at work. Why?"

Bright groaned. "Metawin, I swear to god, if you don't shut up about this shift I'm going to drop you off on the side of the road."

Win sends a glare Bright way but continues on. "You're right. We should definitely make the best of this. I mean, even though I'd rather be at home drinking wine with Gun while Krist and New drunkenly proclaim their resolutions, I still have you."

"Wow, sorry you have to settle."

"Drama queen, that's not what I meant," Win says on a laugh. "What I meant is that while ringing in the new year at work isn't ideal, at least I'm ringing it in with my best friend."

Best friend. That's the first time he's ever called him that. It's not really a big deal, but it makes him smile. He considers Win a best friend, too, so it's nice to know the feeling is mutual.

He decides to go into T.O. mode.

"New Years Eve is always a lot of drunk calls. Busting parties and patrolling for drunk drivers."

"Good times."

"Very," he agrees dryly. Win just giggles from his side of the car.

"I'm hungry," Win says and Bright rolls his eyes but turns down the road that leads to his favorite diner anyways.