1. 𝐒𝐀𝐃 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓

I HOLD DOWN the button on my walkie talkie.
     "Hello?" I say.
     It's the first word I've spoken out loud in months.
     There's no response.
     I shake it and smack it with the palm of my hand. My blood is boiling in my veins. The channel is fuzzy and making crackling sounds but it's the only one.
     I take a deep breath and try again.
     "Hello?" I say, then I take a sip of water and lick my lips. My throat feels like rough carpet. "My name is Capella Blaine. I'm 20 years old." I pause.
     A flock of crows fly over my head.
     It's hot out here.
     I'm in the parking lot of an elementary school. There's abandoned yellow busses dotted across the pavement, a few ditched backpacks, and lots of crows. They sit on the rooftop of the school and watch me.
     I'm sitting on the pavement in the middle of the parking lot. Maybe they think I'm going to die soon.
     Maybe I look like a yummy dinner.
     I hold the button again. "Hello. My name is Capella Blaine. I'm 20 years old. I'm currently at Briar Oaks Elementary School. If you are in the area and in need of food and shelter I can help you." My thumb comes off of the button.
     I stand up from my spot on the ground and eye the crows on the rooftop. One of them adjusts his wings.
     Stupid crows.
     I lift my backpack from off the ground and hoist it over my shoulder. I pick up my canteen. It's time to move on. I've said what I needed to say and if someone hears it, they hear it.
If they don't, I'll remain alone.
I prefer it that way. But I'm not about to let someone struggling on their own out there die alone too.
No one deserves to become a flock of crow's yummy dinner.
The sun burns my skin as I walk towards a door to the school's gym. I've had the inside of the gym gutted and cleared of any dangers so that I can sleep in peace for once.
It's definitely not home but it'll do.

My dad would be proud of the set up. He was a hunting, fishing, camping guru and taught me everything I know.
I imagine him taking a look at the tent, resting his hand on my shoulder, and saying, "Good work, Capella."
My eyes get watery. My jaw clenches. Oh. What I would do to hear my dad say those words to me again. What I would do for everything to go back to the way it used to be.
I close the gym door behind me once I'm inside.
     I wrap the chains around the handles, pull the key out of my pocket and lock them in place.
     I put the key back in my pocket.
     I turn around.
     And there's a danger right in front of me.
     My eyes go wide-
     I suck in a breath-
     It's a man.
     But not a man.
     He's a monster now.
     He's coming for me.
     My hands go to the glock strapped to my thigh and in a fraction of a second I've shot him dead.
     He crumples to the ground at me feet and I've been sprayed by his blood.
     It's black and hot and running down my face.
     "Good work, Capella."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

AAAAHHHH!!!!! i finally published the first chapter. i've spent a long time working on this story and i'm so excited it's finally going to be told. hang in there, it's going to be a wild, bumpy, mostly unedited ride. xx