Chapter 16

My anger is dissipating. Ever since Logan and I played Borderlands 2 last night, I have been losing my anger towards him. Not that it had much impact on my dislike for Portia though. At least I haven't seen her since I confronted her outside my door yesterday.

My emergency session went well this morning. I got a lot of feelings out and I didn't need any prompting. Dr. Sharon was troubled about the voice impacting me as much as she does when I'm on my medication, so she decided to up my dosage.

That's where trouble hit. The card Mother and Father had given me was declined. That's never happened before. When I phoned them, Father told me that he is no longer financially responsible for me, even though the wedding hasn't happened yet.

I take a short trip to the bathroom and give myself the time to have a minor panic attack before I try think of a strategy.

There's only one option.

One ring. Two rings. "Hello, Kali." Logan says into the receiver.

"I'm sorry to disturb you at work, I... I just... didn't know who to call." I inhale, trying to control the tears that want to start running down my face again.

There's a squeak of a chair against the floor on the other side of the line. "Where are you?" His voice is frantic.

"At the chemist, the one right by the apartment. If you're doing something important, please take care of that first. I can wait. Please don't worry about me." I rush out, not wanting to be an inconvenience.

"I'm on my way. Don't leave." Logan says then hangs up.

I feel awful. What if he's in a meeting? What if he's with my parents and Bartee? What if I just messed up some big deal that could help Michaelson Incorporated become a stronger company?

I wait nervously near the entrance, trying not to let my anxiety and panic get the best of me. Several people ask if I'm okay to which I respond, "I'm fine". The lie that I'm always using.

"I'm here. I'm here." Logan says panting when he stops in front of me, fifteen minutes after I hung up. He must have been going really fast.

"I told you not to rush." I squeak out, thankful that my voice hasn't started giving me away, yet.

"I was worried. You sounded upset and I really want to help. What's wrong, Kali?" He takes one of my hands in his and squeezes it. I look up and I really do see concern in his eyes. So fake. The voice hisses. I take a deep breath, so I don't start crying.

"M-my p-parents... they-they cancelled my c-c-card and I n-n-n-never c-carry c-c-c-cash. I j-just wan-w-wanted t-to b-b-buy-buy a coup-ple of th-th-things, and th-th-then th-th-th–" My stuttering is cut off by Logan pulling me into an embrace.

"Shh, sh. I got you. It's alright." He gently strokes my hair, which I straightened because I was going out. "What do you need to buy?" Now I'm struggling really hard not to cry. Because I don't want him to know about my disorders, because he's being so nice to me, because my panic and my anxiety are rising. I shake my head in his chest, not wanting to explain why I have to buy medication. Why I have all the disorders that I do because that would only lead to a whole lot of other questions.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me. Let's just get this paid. Then maybe go for lunch, if you want?" He is so nice to me. I want to cry.

I nod before pulling away from him. We both walk over to the till. Thank goodness my medication is in a brown bag with minimal information stapled to it. After Logan pays for my medication, he leads me over to a small coffee shop next to the chemist. It's a quaint little place that smells like freshly baked pastries and brewed coffee. I take a moment to inhale the marvellous combination.