Chapter 22

"Kali! Hey!" A five-foot-nothing brunette squeals and she pushes her luggage trolley right towards me. Hazel, or Maya the siren, is beautiful, even after her long flight from London. The jealousy I feel is wiped away when she wraps her arms around me and gives me a tight hug. "I'm so happy to finally meet you in person." She gushes and I can't help the smile that stretches across my face.

"Me too, Hazel. Where's Beth?" I ask looking behind her for a sign of Hazel's girlfriend. The fact that Hazel is bisexual, and Beth is lesbian helps calm my jealousy as well.

"She was right behind me..." Hazel releases me and looks around. "Oh, there she is. Beth! Over here!" She waves her hands over her head while I take a step back, so I don't get a smack in the face.

I look where she indicated and spot a raven-haired, 5'6" girl with another luggage trolley.

"Hey, Kali. How've you been haven't heard from you since Tuesday. Been busy with your man?" Beth drapes one arm across my shoulders and the other around her girl's.

"Just last-minute preparations that needed to be done." I respond, unable to hold my smile back. "Like cake-tasting and stuff like that." I explain a little.

"It's so cute that you're twenty-two and don't swear. Saying 'stuff' instead of 'shit'." Beth chirps. Hazel giggles and I blush.

Logan clears his throat from behind us. "Oh, sorry, darling. Guys, this is Logan." I turn us so that they're facing him. "Logan, this is Hazel and Beth." I introduce, indicating each respectively.

Beth removes her arms from around us and takes a step closer. "So..." She says, arms crossed, cool, blue eyes sizing Logan up. "You're the guy that's been making Kali miserable? Where's your bitch of a girlfriend? The... what she called again?" She asks over her shoulder but turns back and continues before I can answer or ask her to stop. "Oh, that's right. The Blonde Devil."

I can't see her face, but I can see Logan's. I never thought he could be intimidated by a woman. Then again, Beth is quite tall and built for a woman and the tattoos, piercings and half-shaved head of the left side can be really intimidating. He clears his throat.

"Um... I'm sorry, but I don't think this is the right time to discuss this." Hazel grips my arm and I stare in shock as the two of them stare each other down.

"Honey, we talked about this." Hazel lightly takes a hold of Beth's arm, seemingly breaking the tension. For now. "Sorry, Logan. Beth can be very protective over people she cares about." Hazel tries to explain.

Logan nods. "No need to apologise." He smiles with a tight smile and pained face. "I haven't been treating Kali how she deserves to be treated and Portia..." Cue the glare from Beth. Logan clears his throat and shoves his hands into his pockets. "She won't bother you guys while you're here." He looks past them at me. Inside I feel a flutter in my chest as a weight is lifted. I was so worried she'd be at the wedding and ruin the whole thing. A small smile, unpermitted, forms on my face.

"Let's get going. Beth can give me a lecture in the car." Logan says, noticing my smile, spurring his own. Hazel gives an unsure and nervous nod, while Beth perks up to being able to give Logan a piece of her mind.

Hazel walks over to the trolleys, not far off with Beth in tow. Logan takes my hand, making me blush and Beth glare. We walk off from the rest of the crowd at the arrivals terminal with Logan and me leading the way, followed by Hazel and Beth.

I hear there hushed voices, picking up snippets like "you didn't have to be like that in front of a crowd of people" and "but I had this whole speech planned out" and "I know, I was there while you were practicing... the whole flight".