Prologue

Another day came to an end as the sun and moon fought for dominance in the sky. The sun was losing, hence the sky's rapidly changing colors, while the darkness slowly began to submerge what was left on the horizon.

The oranges and reds of the sunset swiftly transitioned into the night's endless blues and violets. In place of the sun appeared a bright full moon that illuminated even the most blackened part of the land.

Rapunzel watched in awe from the window of her tower as nature took its course. She smiled knowing her year-long wait was nearly over. She knew the moon was not the only thing tonight that would make the dusk sparkle.

The child jumped up and down on the ottoman under the tower's window, barely able to contain her enthusiasm for the spectacle she would soon see. A bright smile was painted across her face as Rapunzel peered over the ledge of the tower's window, forgetting her restrictions just so she may be a bit closer to the source of her excitement. However, when nothing appeared when the Sun officially said it's goodbyes, Rapunzel's huge smile fell.

"W-where are they...?" Rapunzel asked herself as her emerald eyes turned doe-like as she continued to search the view of her window.

When seconds passed and nothing lit up the sky, Rapunzel plopped herself down on the ottoman, crossing her legs patiently just as Mother had told her to do when she needed to have good manners and wait for things. She slowly began to rock herself in her criss-cross formation, fiddling with her unnaturally long golden hair for some means of relief.

Hearing the pitter-patter of footsteps behind her turned the young Rapunzel to the sound, hoping whoever it was would have an answer. "No lights?" Her sister, Cassandra asked. Rapunzel's trembling lip and uncertain hands were an answer enough.

Even if it was her duty to keep Rapunzel away from the lights, Cassandra anticipated their return every year. The lights were special to both sisters. It was a breathtaking experience for both of them, which was only made better by the front-row view they had, and the bonding they shared watching it. They not only appeared once a year on Rapunzel's birthday- this year the lights would mark her fourth- but were the very source of faith that pushed the sisters through each year. Especially for Cassandra.

Their mother, Gothel, was specifically biased towards a certain child. Even though Cassandra was Gothel's biological daughter, it was Rapunzel who had the ability to heal the sick and old. Rapunzel, being four, didn't quite understand the importance of that gift and Gothel made sure to take advantage of that. Cassandra was just caught in the crossfire.

Gothel made her favoritism for Rapunzel no secret, and took delight in humiliating and degrading Cassandra every chance she could. Gothel saw Cassandra as nothing more than a burden that just so happened to be alive in her eternal path to youth.

However, Cassandra had a part to play too though in her Mother's quest for immortality. She was only eight but she knew exactly what her Mother was doing, Gothel had told her. Cassandra knew about the hair and the words you would need to recite to it, she knew Rapunzel was taken (although she didn't know from where), and she knew that Gothel had instructed her to keep Rapunzel's head from wandering beyond the walls of tower. To keep her from dreaming, or wishing, or hoping; to keep her in line.

Yet, Cassandra had grown a sisterhood with Rapunzel which Gothel knew would only strengthen as they got older.  So, to keep the instructions clear and Cassandra away from disobedience, Gothel scared Cassandra into submission and treated her like what she thought of her as; a burden.

Cassandra grimaced after thinking about missing the lights after putting forth a year's worth of endurance and staggering patience. She had no idea what she'd do if the lights decided to abandon them this year.