7: A Dream

Mother Gothel had no idea why she had agreed to go on a three-day-long expedition for shells. It was going to be a gift for Rapunzel, sure, but was it worth all the hassle? Ever since she could remember, Gothel would shower the girls with gifts to keep them close to her, but now the whole routine seemed like such a burden. To Gothel, they didn't truly deserve the gifts, but it was a way to buy their love and mask her real feelings for them. Even though Cassandra caught on to her charade early into the game, Rapunzel still believed it, and that was all that mattered.

Gothel now groaned as she trudged along the forest path. She was only a couple hours into her trip and yet everything seemed to annoy her. The birds chirped too loudly, the smell of trees made her nose stuffy, and the summer heat made her start to sweat within her tight fitted dress.

She didn't feel like taking the long journey and started to consider just buying paint from a local to bring back to the tower instead. As she contemplated what she would do, she came across a bush that she could have sworn she saw move. Centuries alive taught her to be mindful and astute to her surroundings, and so she stopped short when she felt even the tiniest bit of unease. Gothel waited, analyzing the bush, as her eyes darted to each angle and tree around her.

Patiently, she stood there, vigilant to not get herself tangled in a trap before a horse leaped out from behind the bush, neighing furiously Gothel had to admit, the horse startled her. It carried a sword in its mouth, with the dagger pointed directly at her, how could she not have felt at least a strand of fear?

However, any of those feelings quickly went away. "A horse," she said, barely amused. Continuing to examine it, she saw it's white mane and coat. It was obvious he was neatly taken care of and trained in the finest equine conditions, hence the empty saddle and expensive harness.

The empty saddle, Gothel realized. She went on to examine the creature further. On its harness, right above the text that said Maximus in bold letters, was a symbol. One was quite familiar with actually; a golden sun. It was a palace horse!

The horse had no rider, which meant he was likely strolling around the woods. Perhaps he would be looking for shelter? Gothel knew the only place he'd find around here was the tower. "Rapunzel," she whispered as the horse glanced at her, confused. Gothel immediately ran off, not wanting to waste another second as she raced towards the tower.

Gothel feared it would be too late by the time she arrived home, but by running at full speed she was able to make it back within an hour or so.

She frantically ran within range of the tower and called Rapunzel's name as unsuspiciously as she could. No one answered. Maybe she was taking a nap? She had to be, that's the only answer. She tried to reassure herself before she called Cassandra's name too, much to her dismay. Again, no answer.

Gothel, still panting, scowled, knowing she would have to dig up the old entrance at the tower's side. She had blocked it herself years ago with her messy brickwork, and planted ivy seeds at the ground around it, hoping it would cover up any traces of the door. It did so, perfectly, but now it served as the only thing between her and youth.

She tore at it viciously, removing it brick by brick as her fingers became dusted and numb. Once she was finally through, she used the last of her stamina to burst through all those flights of stairs and opened the trapdoor at the top.

It was dark. That was odd. They never let the light die during the day when the sun no longer reached the tower's enclosure. They always had homemade candles ready to be lit, but now the candelabras stood empty, dripping the last of their wax to the floor.

Gothel instantly went to start searching.

Calling Rapunzel's name, Gothel checked everywhere she could think of. "Rapunzel!" She yelled as she opened the curtains to the bay view window. Nothing. She checked on the sofa, praying was Rapunzel sleeping on it. Again, nothing. She started to panic even more.