11

"Soon you are going to need to get maids to wait on you," Lily sighed as she tightened the straps on Maddy's dress.

"I don't want maids. Not human ones at least. I don't want to be a mistress to any humans. It betrays my beliefs."

"I understand but you will have to have maids soon. Your bodyguard cannot be the one to help you get ready every day," Lily said.

"Of course. So why are these dresses so tight—" Maddy asked as another string was yanked making her interupt herself with a gasp.

"Not sure but I am glad I don't have to wear them. Well if there are any balls I have to. Well there, that's the last of it. Oh wait no! I need to put the tiara on you," she said.

"Tiara? I thought I still had to be coronated according to Xavier."

"Of course. This is just a pretty little accessory. That tiara will be a lot heavier," Lily said placing the silver diamond adorned piece atop Maddy's brown hair.

Maddy looked at herself in the mirror, her brown locks had been taken into a crown braid. A beautiful dress adorned her body. Blue lace almost melded into her skin. She spun around and watched sparkles glisten.

"It fits you perfectly my Queen."

"I am not Queen. I must be coronated first right?"

"To be official. You are already Queen."

"I don't want to be—"

"But you are. It's your destiny, your fate."

"Until a few days ago I was sure that was to die of cold, hunger or murder."

"And now none of that will come to pass. My Queen you look absolutely ravishing if you care for compliments. Now let me show you off," Xavier said teasingly as he entered the room.

"I'm not a trophy."

"And I was joking. Kind of. With a mate as beautiful as you, I'd be a fool not to show you off to my court."

"Your court. I thought this was just me and you. Please don't make me do this. I don't want to—"

"Its okay. I'll be with you. They won't hurt you. I've made sure that there will be no other humans at dinner. You are not ready to be exposed to such things."

"I am sure I'll never be. I have no wish to meet a stuck up group of Lycans, wolves and vamps. Lily let's get a head start on those myths you were telling me about. I'd love to read and learn all about them," Maddy said reaching back for the strings.

"Nope."

"Hey!" Maddy exclaimed as she was pinned to a wall.

"If I remember correctly I had you exactly in this position when we first met."

"And I remember what followed after. Want me to jog your memory."

"Just come to dinner. The ladies of the court will not be there. No gossip. Just letting my court meet their queen," he said releasing her.

"Is that truly all there is to it?"

"Of course. They must meet my mate."

"But they—"

"They can't hurt you. Besides you dressed up all beautiful for the occasion."

"Fine but if I don't like it I leave the room."

"If that's what you wish," he sighed.

"Now come," he said intertwining his fingers with hers.

Maddy followed, not wanting to but knowing she had no choice. It was better at least seeming to be willing than having him drag her there.

"Xavier do they know I am human?" She asked.

"They do. I would not lead you into a situation that could risk your safety Maddy. You need to know that and trust me. I am your mate, I would never hurt you willingly," he said lifting her hand and placing a soft kiss on the back of it.

"Let's get going. The sooner se can get this over with the better," she muttered pulling her hand away from the King.

She was led to a huge dining hall dimly lit with a candlelight chandelier. The sight of werewolves, lycans and vampires together made the brave human feel fear. Maybe it was the 'mate' thing that made her confident around Xavier.

She had nowhere to run. The freedom of the streets and the street smarts she had were useless there. Oh how she longed to be back on the streets running from any and all problems. She knew how to disguise her scent. Where to hide. The best distraction, the best trap. It was all better there. Sure she was starving there but it was better.

The sight of the vampires' pearly fangs struck fear into her heart. She flinched, wincing.

Screams.

Bite.

Grab.

Blood.

Four.

"Calm down Maddy," her mate whispered into her ear, his hand holding her wrist to prevent her bolting.

She shook her head whilst he ran his other hand along her arm.

"It's okay. I'm right here. You don't need to be afraid," he reassured her.

"No. No. I don't belong here. I don't. Please take me back. Take me back please," she begged in a whisper.

Xavier dragged his mate out of the room, not that they had stepped more than a step through the door.

He gently pushed her back against a wall and took a step back from her.

"Just breathe. They can't hurt you. They will not be hurting you—"

"No please Xavier. I'm scared. I'm so scared," she whispered shaking against the wall that he had positioned her to lean on for support.

He stared at her shocked. He had thought it impossible for her to be afraid. She was brave. The most confident and daring human he knew, well the only human he had seen displaying those attributes. The woman defied a King. She spited him, his Beta and the princess/captain of the guard. The only time he had seen a hint of fear was when he trapped her in the car with him.

He had not expected to see her trembling before him because of a dinner.

"Please. Please. No vampires. No vampires," she said shaking her head, her hands gripping her head.

"Why not?"

She looked up at him, eyes filled with the deepest of fear. He knew what happened to her in the forest. He knew it but that was only four vampires. That was not enough to terrify her into such a state was it?

"No. No. No. Too much. Too much blood," she said.

Fangs.

Sharp piercing fangs.

Breaking flesh.

Cries of desperation.

Trapped.

Darkness.

Red glowing eyes.

Eyes filled with hunger.

A woman's whisper.

Sharp nails clawing skin.

Maddy shook her head.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Why am I against a wall? If you tried to kiss me I surely would remember it," she said pushing past him.

Xavier followed after her into the room. He noticed her hesitation upon looking at the vampires in specific.

"I have the pleasure of introducing you gentlemen this evening to your new queen, Queen Madeline," Xavier announced nudging his mate so she stepped forward.

She held her head up high determined not to show a single hint of submission.

Applause resounded in response. She had yet to hear any objections to her future reign.