Chapter 3

"W-What the FUCK!?" she screamed. Maki jumped up and into the passenger seat to examine, while Kaito freaked out. Shuichi didn't know what to do. Another murder? Was there no end to what they had to endure in the simulation? No, he needed to focus on the facts and the situation. Kokichi was missing. But he was smart. He wouldn't leave them without a clue.

"I-I'll go tell the... others." Kaito stammered out and wobbled into the store and went to spread the news. It was a large store, but knowing Kaito, Shuichi was sure the rest of their group would be present very soon.

The Panta was directed towards the doorway, as if it was thrown in that direction. It was pretty hot, since Kaito complained about it. It was also still bright outside, which meant that if the soft drink stains were wet, it was recently spilled and not evaporated yet. There were also scratches on the seat and dasboard, some deeper than others. "Shuichi, take a look at this." 

Maki motioned the detective over to the compartment in front of the passenger seat. Shuichi saw a note inside. 

'Man staring, approximately 196 cm (6'4").  He's trying to break inside. Weapons nearby: Panta, plastic bottles, bags, pocketknife. Muscular, escape unlikely. Shuichi, if you're seeing this'

The note was nothing but scribbles after that. The pocketknife explained the scratched car. Shuichi looked more carefully. There were wet spots and scratches on the part of the seat where Kokichi normally sat, which he concluded meant that there was a struggle, and Kokichi had been moving around a lot.

"The scent of alcohol markers, it's barely on this note." Maki said. There was a wallet on the floor where Miu still sat shocked, tears slowly rolling down her cheeks. There were identification and debit cards halfway inside, as well as crinkled cash sprinkled across the ground. There was even some under the car and flying about in the parking lot.

"Okay. There's money on the floor, as well as a note and signs of a struggle, both made recently since the drink stains are still wet and the marker's odor is still present." Shuichi recapped. 

"W-We can use h-his... ID to see i-if somebody sa-saw him..." Miu was shaking, hesitant at first to even speak.

"That's an amazing idea Miu, thank you." Shuichi didn't know how to calm someone down. He could barely calm himself down most of the time. He remembered how much the inventor loved to brag about her talent and receive praise, so it was the only thing the detective could think of. 

"I also saw Kokichi near the exit about 8 minutes ago, we could try that time frame and go from there. All we know is that he was kidnapped and most likely injured, possibly unconscious at the time." Maki had a blank face, like she had all those times in the killing game. Only this time, her eyes held a fear Maki herself had never shown. 

She wanted Kaito to come up to her and tell her to keep going, that it would be okay and that they would get through the experience. This time it wasn't fake. This time it was only a wish. Maki would have to do this on her own this time.

The rest of the group quickly arrived and Shuichi searched the rest of the truck. Nothing new was found while everyone else was being updated of the events. 

"We should gather eyewitness statements and search parts of the store." Kirumi suggested. "If that man Kokichi described in his note was possibly following him, he might've left hints throughout the store for us to make things easier."

"Why don't we just call the police?" Ryoma asked. "Because, they'll notice the car. Remember what we did earlier? Besides, I think Kokichi wants us to solve this on our own so we don't get in trouble." Rantaro then went to ask a nearby woman if he had seen the missing  boy.