𝐢𝐯. 𝐰𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐫𝐝

BRUTAL
chapter four

BRUTALchapter four

weird lizard

"THE CASE OF PHINEAS GAGE IS ONE OF THE GREAT MEDICAL CURIOSITIES OF ALL TIME." Adrian was resting his hand on his palm as he listened to the man in the front of the class. "Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident."

His notebook held some doodles as his pencil guided him on the piece of paper. "A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." This caught Adrian's attention and the boy closed his notebook, putting his full attention on the teacher.

"Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was."

"But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality." Adrian leaned closer, his converse dragging along the tiled floor of the classroom. "So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as 'No longer Gage.'"

Adrian raised his eyebrows once he saw Will turn around and look at the girl beside him, who quickly turned away. He kept himself from smiling and turned back to the front. "At the time, this was known as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a-." The man was cut off abruptly by the door slamming open.

Adrian looked over to see Dustin carrying his bag and panting. "I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me."

Adrian snorted in laughter, covering his mouth quickly when everyone stared at him. "Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said."

Adrian furrowed his eyebrows as the four boys in the front huddled together, whispers leaving their mouths.

Dustin turned around and looked at both Max and Adrian before mouthing something. "Dustin!"

"Yes, my lord?" Dustin spoke quickly, and Adrian covered his laugh with a cough.

"Would you care to join the class now?" Mr. Clarke asked the boy.

"Please, yes." Dustin reached down into his backpack, pulling out his textbook. "The case of Phineas Gage." Mr. Clarke told him.

"Phineas Gage," Dustin repeated. "Page 104."

"104. 104." He zipped his backpack up and flipped to that exact page.

"Focus." Mr. Clarke encouraged the curly-haired boy. "Focusing. Focusing."

Dustin turned back to the two, mouthing something again. "AV Club." Adrian nodded and Max gave him a thumbs up.