Chapter 7: I'm the Sweetest in Town

Luke woke up with a stinging headache in a strange room. The walls were a light amber, and there were soft plants waiting patiently for sunlight as it was apparently dawn. Luke turned to read the time on the bedside clock.

5:30 am

Luke sat up and rubbed his eyes, soon realizing it was Ashton's guest room and not the motel he had checked into. He was majorly hungover. Being a lightweight didn't always work in the victim's favor. It was a blessing and a curse.

He was still wearing the clothes from the night before. He tried to make out further details as he stared at the ceiling fan, whirring softly over his head. What a considerate guy Ashton had been to put the fan on before he slept.

Luke figured it would be best to not dwell at such an early hour, but he had a sinking feeling that the words spoken to him could have been important. He didn't think Ashton would take advantage of him while drunk, but he did know that he, himself, was capable of admitting to stupid things under the influence.

So, though he tried his hardest, he was unable to fall back asleep.

He listened to the soft, morning breeze grace the desert sand with it's wispy sound of nothingness. Luke was jealous of the wind them. Though it never looked for its purpose, it found it. The wind's responsibility was to push the sand along the landscape and grace the world with a refreshing sensation. It was a foil to the red desert sun that heated the sand and crippled the plant life, leaving the state of Nevada emotionless and arid.

Luke knew what the sun in his life was, but he wasn't sure what took the place of the wind.

He timidly got out of bed when he heard noise in the nearby kitchen. Tiptoeing, he closed the bedroom door and tried to be unnoticed when he saw Ashton preparing coffee for himself.

"You're awake early," Ashton smiled, "your keys and jacket are on the island. I just wanted to make sure you'd be safe for the night. You're free to go whenever, well, until you're due for another recording session or...if you'd like some coffee."

Luke paused, blinking softly and slowly being persuaded by the delicious smell of dark roast.

"Yeah, I'll have some coffee," He said, sitting at the small breakfast table. Ashton seemed delighted. He poured some of the pot's contents into a mug and set it in front of Luke.

"You were pretty out of it after about five drinks. This will make you feel better," the older man smiled and sipped from his own mug.

Luke inhaled the aroma, and immediately agreed that coffee was precisely what he needed. He sipped slow as to not burn his tongue.

After a few sips, he paused:

"Did I say anything stupid? You are my boss, and I—"

"No, Luke. You were a more than tolerable drunk. Clearly, not your first time, eh?" Ashton smirked. Luke swallowed.

No.

No it wasn't his first time feeling the need to confide in a substance for confidence. He felt as if Ashton were making fun of him then. He looked down.

"N-No, but I uh...don't like myself drunk so," Luke said softly.

"Oh, Luke! It's no trouble! We all act different when drunk," Ashton said in a caring tone. Luke's frown lifted slightly. He met Ashton's eyes again and felt a wave of relief sweep his body.

"Promise?"

"Yeah, Lu. I would love to do it again sometime," Ashton patted Luke on the back and sat across from him.

Luke blushed and then was hit with a memory of last night. Ashton promised not to hurt him. He touched his cheek. Luke felt the same feelings as before only intensified now that he was sober.

"I actually have a few errands to run, Luke. You're more than welcome to hang out with me if you would like," Ashton ran a hand through his dark hair.

"What do you plan on doing?" Luke tilted his head in curiosity.

"Probably go to the shops in Vegas. Plan for a premiere party. Drop my assistant's birthday present off...managerial stuff..." Ashton listed with a shrug.

Luke nodded slowly.

"Okay, yeah. I have nothing to do. Could we stop at the gas station, though?" Luke asked gently.

"Sure, anything you need. What do you need?" Ashton asked with a soft smile.

"A soda and some cheap sunglasses. I don't want the world's first impression of Irwin Records next big thing to be a strung out junkie."

Ashton didn't argue.