Chapter 11

The next day, almost all of the women were invited on a group date. The date was apparently a big deal, and they would be gone for two days. Doing what, I wondered idly. The producers told us most of the crew would go on the date, but one producer and cameraman would be in the hotel to help me and Dani. Dani was not invited, which probably meant she would be given a second one-on-one date. As awkward as it was, I was happy to have some time alone. I assumed they would stop filming us, since we would be rather boring.

The girls took off and I found myself laying in bed, with clothes and makeup on in case I needed to go somewhere. But I was not allowed to watch television or call anyone. So I just sat around and stared at the ceiling. My phone rang and I answered, hearing Thomas' voice on the line.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Literally nothing," I said. "I rearranged my suitcase twice."

"Well, Dani is going to the hottub," he said. "You could try and get to know her better. We haven't seen you two talk much."

"Dani is nice," I said. "Are we allowed to go out of the room?"

"I will allow it," Thomas said. "Cameras will be on, but just in case something happens. Most of our focus will be on the group date. But a few shots of you two in the hot tub..."

I cringed as he explained his rationale. But still, it did sound very relaxing. Dani was important to Flynn and I had not gotten to know her very well.

I grabbed my bikini and went downstairs.

Dani was sitting in the hottub wearing a wholesome swimsuit suit that made me feel sheepish. I packed a string bikini because Jessa insisted that no one would care, but Dani was very conservative. I dipped into the water quickly, hoping to feel more modest that way. She smiled and waved and I nodded in her direction.

"Hey," she said. "Are you bored out of your mind too?"

"Yes, but it's nice," I said. "Gives me time to think, process my emotions. "

"Ah," she said. "How are you feeling?"

"Honestly, I feel great," I said. "Flynn and I got to a deeper level yesterday. I know I have such strong feelings for him and I want him to meet my family. I am excited. But then sometimes I feel worried because I know it is not just about me and him. I can tell he is very invested with some of his other relationships. I feel like he is very into you."

"Thank you," she said. "So if he doesn't pick you, what is your plan?"

"I don't know."

"I think you will be one of the top two, Annie. Let's be honest- it is me and you. I can tell."

"How?" I asked.

"You're the only other person he signals to," she said. "The chest tapping- I've seen it. For us, it's the lips. He puts three fingers to his lips."

"No way," I said. "You are quick, like a detective!"

"I am! So, if he chooses me," her voice waned. She sounded so certain. Like she knew it would be her. "Would you be the bachelorette?"

I shook my head, laughing.

"I can't even think about that," I said. "Right now, my focus is on Flynn and figuring out what I want."

"But you should have a plan, Annie. We both know he won't pick you."

"Why?"

"I just... he has asked me for two dates. He likes me better Annie. I'm sorry and I know that's hard. But if you are prepared for it, maybe your heart won't be broken."