𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 35.

𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐘, 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒 fell from his tongue, my mind went blank and my heart started to race.

"Wh— what?" I said, breathless.

Jj looked at me blankly, "Are Danny and Cecile Collins your parents, Charlie." he persisted.

I didn't know what to do or say. I knew that one wrong move would blow my cover, but yet, I had no idea how to play my cards right, either. I blinked repeatedly, as if it would help an idea come to mind.

"Wh— why, do you think that?" I stammered, my voice coarse. It was hard to speak, almost like the words were getting trapped inside of my throat.

"Don't lie, Charlotte," Jj shook his head from side to side forcefully, "Just tell me the truth."

      I didn't expect to have this kind of conversation with Jj.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I swallowed a bubble of air. My hands were shaking.

"Yeah you do," he disagreed, turning himself to face me directly, "Your grandpa literally just said Danny, referring to your dad, and your last name is Collins," he stated impatiently.

"There's a lot of people named Danny in the world, Jj—"

"And it makes sense why you've never been on the island before," he pointed a finger at me, "Your grandparents have never mentioned you ever, and what? Showing up on the island out of the blue is supposed to make sense?" He wasn't being aggressive, but I could tell that he wanted to know.

"Jj, my parents are not famous," I lied. I tried my best, ultimate best, to sound like it was true. But through my soft voice and pleading eyes, he was able to see right through me.

"Bullshit, you look just like Cecile," he claimed with confidence. "Tell me I'm wrong."

"I don't even know who you're talking about," I shrugged.

"Are you kidding me— Charlie, they're like the presidents of every romance movie, like, ever," he said with wide eyes, "You've never seen 'A Night In Paris' before?"

"What the fuck is that," I narrowed my eyebrows. That was the only truth I told— I did not know any of my parents' movies.

"You're lying." He leaned his back against the window.

I rolled my eyes, "Could we not do this right now, I need to be—"

"See!" He pointed another finger, "You're not fucking denying it, Charlotte!"

"You think my parents are famous actors, Jj." I pretended to think he was stupid, lowering my eyes at him. "Wouldn't you know if they even had kid by now, if they were so famous."

"That's why you've never left New York," he stated, referring back to when I had told the Pogues about where I was from, on the boat ride to the motel, the first day I met them. "And also why your grandparents haven't mentioned you, because your parents are famous." he lowered his eyes. "Danny and Cecile live in New York City."

"Well don't you just know your facts—"

"And you were homeschooled too!" He said with a loud tone, when he realized, cutting me off, "This is crazy— Charlie, your parents are fucking famous—"

"Jj stop," I cut him off at the turn, my voice angry. "You're being crazy. You realize how idiotic this conversation sounds right now?"