Chapter 10: Lessons for the 'Weak'

"Your schedule for the rest of the week, my lord."

Percy could only stare at the piece of paper in his hands in horror. Slowly he raised his head to glance at Razir, whose eyes shone with deep annoyance, as if he didn't want to be here. Razir had shown up early in the morning and created so much noise to wake Percy up, and when Percy went out to greet him, still in his pajamas, Razir had thrust a piece of paper into his hands.

"Why... why do I need a schedule?" Percy asked carefully, studying the paper. His eyes widened. "Sword fighting? History lessons? What is this? School?" he asked.

Razir gave a look of cruel amusement that could almost rival Naguel's. "Well, you are certainly new here, and if you do or do not mange to ascend that throne, as the council, it is still our job to train you."

"I don't need training," Percy hissed, his mind racing. The schedule was tightly packed with only a few breaks here and there that didn't last for 30 minutes besides sleep. How could he investigate anything if he was needed to follow this schedule?

Razir snorted. "We'll see about that. Naguel was insistent that you train with us."

"Him again?" Percy groaned. "What is Naguel's problem with me?"

"Naguel only wants the best for Atlantis," Razir said. "As we all do. We don't need an incompetent leader," he seethed. "There is no discussion, starting from today you will train with each council member selected and we will receive no complains. And," he continued as if he read the question forming on Percy's lips. "A true leader can balance his or her time no matter how busy they are so you are required to train and investigate the murder at the same time. Failure would mean your incompetence."

Before Percy could argue further, Razir turned and swam away to the doors. Percy clenched the schedule in his hands, anger forming. 

Just as Razir left, Noa swam in, blinking in surprise at a leaving Razir who sneered at her. She still looked confused when she went over beside him until she took in the piece of paper in his hands.

"What is that?" she asked.

Percy held out the paper wordlessly to her. Noa took it and raised her eyebrows when she saw it. "I've heard Naguel talking about it yesterday but I didn't think he actually meant it."

"Why can't I just train with you?" Percy said. "Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Train and prepare me?"

"Apparently the Council doesn't agree to that," Noa said. "Amphitrite did ask me to be your royal advisor once you're king but until Naguel approves I don't think I'll ever become one."

"Screw him," Percy spat angrily. "You know what? At this point he's just doing a dam good job of showing he's the murderer."

Noa raised an eyebrow. "Dam?"

"Inside joke with my friends," Percy said, flushing but Noa didn't ask. "He's being a little too obvious don't you think?"

"I don't think he's the killer, Percy," Noa said. "Like you said, he's doing way too a good a job at proving he's up to something, it's too obvious, it couldn't be him. The murder has happened for days don't you think someone would have figured it out if it were him."

"How sure are you?" Percy asked.

Noa hesitated then said, "Eighty percent."

"Where's the other twenty percent?" 

Now it was Noa's turn to blush. "I can't be absolute certain because I don't have proof yet."

"See?" Percy said. "What if he's doing it on purpose? Acting like this so it'll dismiss him as a suspect, make us think the opposite."