The beginning

Life was normal for Cleo, Emma and Rikki after the comet incident on Mako Island. They returned back to their ordinary lives for many years, until Rikki helped a pod of mermaids save Mako and now they have discovered a whole new world of mermaids.

***************************

It was the first day of middle school and Dylan, Lewis and Cleo's son, didn't want to go, even though Cleo begged him twice already, he just wouldn't get ready.

"Come on Dylan" said Cleo, "it's time to go, you don't want to be late on your first day!".

Dylan walked down the stairs frustrated, he just wanted to stay home.

"Come on, it will be fun!" Cleo tried to cheer him up, "Emma's daughter Hayley will be there too. Oh and Alex, don't you want to see your best friends?".

"Ugh fine, but I'm only going for them!" Dylan agreed and went to get ready.

Lewis who was watching them from the sofa looked at Cleo and whispered proudly "Our boy has grown up".

***************************

They drop him off at school where he met with his friends. "Hey guys" he said.

"Good morning Dylan!" Hayley and Alex replied. "I was just telling Alex how excited I am that we are finally in middle school. I feel so grown up and honestly, I've already spotted some cute boys." Hayley said happily.

"Those boys look ridiculous compared to me" Alex bragged because as usual, he was full of himself. Dylan rolled his eyes and sarcastically told him "Sure, mate".

Hayley made an attempt to break the awkward silence by showing them a zoo flier she found earlier that morning. She suggested they could go and watch the baby kangaroos and the boys found her idea fantastic. After all kangaroos are their favorite animals. Suddenly the bell rang and the three kids headed to class.

***************************

Meanwhile, Cleo was at her office at the marine park when she heard a knock on her door. "Come in" she said and Emma entered the room.

She waved and asked Cleo if it was a busy day, but since it was the first day of school and all the kids were there, the day was quite slow. They were catching up, when suddenly they heard another knock on the door. "Come in" Cleo said once again and this time, they saw Rikki who looked really excited.

"Hey girls" she greeted, "You will never believe what happened! Yesterday I helped a whole pod of mermaids to defeat a water dragon!". 

Emma and Cleo looked at each other and on their face you could clearly see that they were confused.

Rikki explained "Pod is like a group of dozens of mermaids, real mermaids! But that's not all, they can do real magic like disappearing and stuff by using their rings that have some kind of stone on them that captions the power of the full moon! I think the stone was the same one as the ones we had on our necklaces".

The girls looked even more confused. How could there be other mermaids but they never came across one? "We must have been busy with other supernatural stuff" Cleo joked.

There was a small silence break and then Rikki told them that one of the mermaids actually invited all three of them to meet the pod and help them learn some of their tricks. Cleo was excited but Emma wasn't sure if that was a good idea...

***************************

That same morning, Mimmi, the mermaid who invited Rikki to the pod, was trying to convince the leader of the council of the pod, Veridia, to give the girls a chance in learning some tricks. After all, they saved Mako and the moon pool, which is their home, many times.