CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

WINDY CITY

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     Rowan jerked awake, her temple banging against the hard glass of the car window. The car was no longer speeding down a road, which was the last thing she could remember before her head had fallen onto Stefan's shoulder, her exhaustion dragging her under. Grumbling under her breath, she rubbed lightly at her aching temple and pushed the car door open, squinting her eyes at the bright lights above her head. They were parked inside a large warehouse, hundreds of crates piled onto shelves. She could see compelled minions wheeling the coffins out of the truck. Turning her head, the first person she saw was Henrik. He was leaning against the side of his own car, his eyes once again glued to his phone. Rowan was half-tempted to yank it out of his hands, just to see what he would do, but decided her life was infinitely more important. Instead, she chose ask something short and sweet.

"Where are we?" she demanded, walking toward him. Henrik didn't even bother glancing up from his phone. A sucker, no doubt taken from Rowan's own personal stash, was in his mouth, the white stick poking out of the corner of his mouth. She usually ate them when she was feeling particularly hungry and didn't want to harm anyone, or when she needed to control herself before she made things worse. She scowled at the sight of it.

"Chicago," Henrik mumbled around the lollipop, his lips stained pink. Rowan let out a huff and glanced around the warehouse again. That was when she spotted Stefan and Klaus, standing at the entrance of the warehouse itself, staring out at the city. She had no idea where she was in Chicago, but that wouldn't have necessarily mattered. She had never been to Chicago in her life. The only thing she knew about it was that it was nicknamed Windy City. "And before you ask why we're here, I think Nik wants another witch's opinion."

"Then why are you still here?" she demanded, and though she sounded confrontational, she was genuinely curious. Henrik didn't have any real reason to still be with them. He'd been following behind Klaus's car; he could have turned down a random highway anytime he wanted. Klaus wouldn't have even noticed, yet here he still was, even though he was clearly annoyed by it.

"Because," Henrik said shortly. His tone of voice normally would have sent Rowan into a panicked haste to get away, especially considering how he'd lashed out at Klaus the day before, but now she didn't feel threatened at all. Maybe it was because of the candy in his mouth. She planted her hands on her hips and tilted her head at him.

"What, suddenly you don't want to talk?" she challenged. Henrik didn't take the bait, typing away at his phone again. Rowan sighed long and hard. She was bored, and she had no desire to go and join Stefan and Klaus at the entrance to the warehouse. She was sure Klaus was being insufferable. "Who are you texting? Is it what's-his-name? Francis?" She knew it was a risk to say his name—clearly, it was a sensitive subject—but much to her surprise, Henrik didn't react to it with cold anger. He just rolled his eyes, lowered his phone, and removed the lollipop from his mouth.