PROLOGUE

Monte Llana Series #1: Decoding Independence

DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, establishments, events, locales, and incidents are either a product of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

*****

"What's the update on my personal pages?"

My secretary, Iya, put the glass of tea on my executive table. She then stepped two feet backward before answering me. "Wala pa rin pong matinong lead, Miss O. We're still trying to contact the best–"

"Nonsense." I scoffed and continued signing the pile of papers in front of me.

I gestured Iya to leave shortly. I have the means to pay for the best people but they can't even do their job. How experienced of a person is the culprit behind all these hacking anyway? Napakagaling naman ata to the point that even the highest-paying group of tech specialists couldn't trace him–or her. Whatever!

The incompetency is showing big time.

Sa sobrang stress ko, natapos ko agad ang pagpirma ng mga papeles. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before leaving my office for a photoshoot. I'm rocking a white one-piece tank top square pants partnered with my rose gold furry Chanel jacket. I also paired my high-end sunglasses with the latest edition of Rusty Lopez heels.

"Miss O, LollipopMag is asking if you can do a sit-down interview with them," Iya was trying to level my walk to the studio. Hawak-hawak niya pa rin ang iPad, settling my appointments with people.

"Gucci. Five minutes is enough."

I sat in the high chair right away when we arrived at the set. My makeup artist hurriedly did my makeup while my hair stylist was busy curling my hair. A group of press approached me after a while. They must be from LollipopMag.

"Good afternoon, Osh! I am Bob Martinez from LollipopMag. Thank you for entertaining us despite the short notice. We just have a few questions for you. Let's start?" I know this guy! He's a famous magazine editor. I think, kilala rin siya ni Lau. Tumango lang ako bago humarap sa kanya. My people were still busy styling me from behind.

"What can you say about the allegations that O and Co. is achieving rock bottom? Can you tell us about the current situation of the company?"

I knew he was gonna throw that personal question first thing so I had no choice but to answer.

"O and Co. is doing good, as far as I am concerned. We are yet to find the malefactor behind all of these," I answered professionally.

"Great. Let's move on–"

Before Bob was able to finish his sentence, may lumapit na lalaking naka-blue ombrè ang buhok. He whispered something to Bob before handing him an iPhone. It was an article but I didn't bother to read what it says until Bob looked at me with shocked eyes. He then recovered himself quickly.

Bob coughed a bit. "Apologies for the interruptions, but we just received a lead that the professional IT team of Mr. Clive Fabregas volunteered to handle your case."