chapter 43.

"don't go telling me
that i could have anybody"

I slowly sipped water from the clear plastic cup as I waited, trying to distract myself. I had been sitting in this fucking chair for probably over thirty minutes and my butt was starting to hurt.

It felt like an eternity later when someone came back into the room. This time it was a female cop, her dark hair pulled up into a bun.

"Tyler Bennet right?" I nodded in reply, sitting up in my chair. "My name is Corey. I'm going to need a parental or guardian's phone number so we can contact them and explain the situation but otherwise, you are free to go"

"So can just leave?"

"Yes, but there will be consequences to your actions. We will be in touch with your family. Now, I need a phone number" Corey finished. I nodded before telling her my mom's phone number and name.

"Thank you Tyler," the officer said as she wrote the numbers down on a small notepad.

"Oh also, here's your backpack," she said grabbing a backpack that was sitting outside the door. "It was left in the police car, sorry about that"

"That's okay, thank you" I replied as I grabbed my bag from her outstretched hand.

"Should I call your mom to come pick you up?" the officer said as she led me out of the room and into the waiting room.

"No she's busy right now I'll get my friend to pick me up, is that okay?" I asked, shouldering my bag.

"Yeah, that's fine. We will be in touch" I nodded before Corey walked away, leaving me alone in the quiet waiting room. I ran a hand through my hair before removing my backpack from my shoulders and digging through it to find my phone.

"Shit" I muttered to myself, realizing I was supposed to be at Jae's house 30 minutes ago. I had gotten a few texts him and a ton from Jack but the first thing I did was call Jaeden.

"Ty are you okay," Jaeden asked the second he picked up.

"Yeah, I guess," I said before huffing a humorless laugh. "Do you mind picking me up?"

"Yeah of course, where are you?"

"Police station" I mumbled, walking out of the building.

"Wait what the fuck, why?" Jaeden exclaimed, obviously worried. "Ty are you okay, did something happen, what the fuck-"

"Jae I'm fine, I'll explain everything when your here, please just come pick me up," I said quietly, taking a deep breath.

"Yes, yeah, of course, I'm coming right now." Jaeden replied.

"Thank you, you're the best," I said, now completely exhausted and fed up.

I knew my mom was going to find out about it, but when the officer said that they needed her phone number, my stomach dropped. I'm genuinely scared to go home.

Once Jaeden hung up I pocketed my phone and sat down on the curb of the parking lot. When Jaeden pulled in five minutes later, all I had thought about was what my mom was going to say.

"Hi," I said collapsing into the passenger seat.

"Hey," Jaeden replied softly, starting to drive again. "Are you okay?"

I nodded quickly, not trusting myself to speak.

"Ty" Jaeden sighed, looking over at me, his green eyes soft and caring. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the headrest as a few tears escaped and slid slowly down my face.