Empathy

Chapter 8:

Zweli wasn't supportive about me speaking to Lwazi alone, he felt he needed to be there but fighting at Dr Micheals office was beyond childish so we paused the fight.

Dr Micheals"It wont be easy but again I am willing to make this my priority, I will need to take you to a place with silence and yet relaxing.
Zweli"Make all the necessary arrangements"
Dr Micheals"Take your pills every day, they will keep the depression in check"
Me"Thank you"
Dr Micheals"Thank me when my job is done"
We left his office in silence, Zweli was probably pondering about Lwazi and I wanted to research this thing. Mostly call my parents, they kept this a secret from me . All the disappearing they made seem like I was dreaming, when I couldn't recall anything naughty I did and my mother would call me a liar or being greeted by strangers claiming to know me and them claiming its because we royalty.
Me"Zweli"
"I've never had friends"
"I don't know what its like to have a friend and I wonder if she had friends, I wonder if she did all the things that I once wanted to do"
Zweli"You want friends? "
Me"I don't know, never really considered that. I have never been the social type"
Zweli"I'll take you out tonight"
Me"Its Monday"
Zweli"That's when its fun"
Me"Are you sure? what about your parents? "
He rolled his eyes laughing
Zweli"They won't know unless you tell them"
Me"Thank you"
He laughed
Zweli"Your happiness is my first priority "
Me"You are so cheesy"
Zweli"Maybe but I really wana make you happy "
Me"I am happy"
Zweli"Yaphosisa but its okay, we have forever"
Me"Eventually we will have additions"
He looked at me then looked at the road again.
Me"You don't want children? "
Zweli"They've never been a priority"
Me"Why? "
Zweli"I'll tell you just not now"
He pulled up at the house parking on the street.
Zweli"I'll come back to fetch you"
Something in his voice cracked as he said that, he wasn't even looking at him.
Me"Zweli"
Zweli"Later baba"
My first choice was to go inside and moan at how selfish he is but clearly something is wrong.
Me"Talk to me please"
He sighed with frustration like I was annoying him .
Zweli"Can we not?"
Me"What changed between then and now? "
He gave me his phone and buried his head in the steering wheel groaning in frustration.
Me"Its a heart attack Zweli, your father will be fine"
He didn't answer me and I am sure I didn't deserve one.
Me"Lets go pack and go there ngoku, I will drive"
I reached for his hand and slowly caressed it .
Me"This too shall pass"

I have never been so wrong in my life, when we arrived sometime after 11pm we found out his father has just passed away. I felt so useless as my mother in law cried comforting her sons, I wanted to say something but I had absolutely no right words. Instead I took my pills taking caution in case my personality will use this opportunity to appear. The next 3 days were hell! I worked my fingers to the bone, I hardly saw Zweli because he had to sort a few things in PE for work. My Mother showed face, she was dressed as if the funeral is today.
Me"Mama"
She hugged me
Ma"You look so exhausted"
No shit!
Me"Apparently slavery comes with being a wife"
She clearly didn't catch that joke
Ma"Hay subazintloni"
An embarrassment how? how in the world do you go about embarrassing someone who is wearing a 2 piece suit emthandazweni?.
Me"Xolo "
I excused myself and went to help Zweli's cousin cook. When we finished I decided to check on Zweli, his phone went straight to voice mail. I tried again and he picked up
Me"Hey"
Zweli"Hey"
no "baba" uhm okay
Me"Zweli unjani?, I am worried about you"
Zweli"I'm okay I promise, take your medication"
"And stop cleaning, we have people for that. My Aunt told me you've been cleaning"
Me"Keeps me sane"
Zweli"Nolitha can I call you later? "
Me"Okay babe"
Zweli"Stop cleaning"
With that he ended the call

Funeral came and it was packed,everyone was there and those that were not wanted to be there.
Me"Zweli?"
He has been so distant
Zweli"Can we talk after the funeral?"
Me"Zweli"
Zweli"Not now"
He walked away and I took a 360 turn, problem with me is my inability of showing empathy.  So I decided to stop bothering him, after the funeral it was the samething with Zweli.
"Hello"
I looked up to see who was greeting me, she was informal with me meaning she had no idea who I was. She looked familiar but I don't recall ndimazelaphi.
Me"Hey"
She smiled standing awkwardly next to me.
Her"Are you part of the family"
Me"By marriage"
"And you?"
Her"Hahaha well not really, I am with someone who is part of the family"
"Actually he left me for someone else, then 3 days ago he knocked on my door crying. Guess it's true what they say about tragedy"
"O'God I am babbling again, sorry I do that a lot when I'm nervous"
A lump formed in my throat, I wanted to cry because Zweli cried to her and not me. What hurts even more is that I know her and she has no clue who I am. Zweli still loves Onela, and I am still an inconvenience to their love story.
Her"I didn't catch your name"
I didn't even throw it but I wanted to handle this with grace and class.
Me"Nolitha Zako"
She smiled as if she couldn't even look more beautiful.
Her"Onela Swazi"
We both quiet
Her"Zako?"
"oh yes I forgot you said you married into the family …"
She looked at me then kept quiet her smile fading.
Me"Yes, Kumkanikazi Zako"
"You know Zweli's wife"
We had a mini staring contest I lost it because I started crying.
Me"You were right about tragedy, it may bring people together but it also has the ability break relationships "
Her"I'm sorry"
Me"Why? for getting the man of your dreams back?"
She didn't answer
Me"Exactly"
"Tell Zweli I will be gone by the he returns"

Tragic events