Chapter 8: Trials

"Sylvia, Sylvia wake up," mother whispered, shaking me awake gently. I groaned and grumbled, tugging at the blankets as they receded. A futile attempt sure, but holding onto that warm bubble was worth it even if for a moment.

"Sylvia, you have to see this!" She said, bubbly and eager as ever. I slowly sit up, stretching, and go to yawn loudly when she clamps her hand over my mouth swiftly.

"Shhhh!" she whispers raising a finger to her lips. My eyes are now wide open, my curiosity peaked as she took my hand and led me down the stairs. I saw Anthony and father at the window, crouching as if to avoid being seen. Their eyes are wide in wonder, giant smiles stretching across their brightly lit faces. Mother hurried me over to the window, pulling me down besides the chair.

"Look!" she whispered excitedly, motioning to the window. The sun was just beginning to rise over the hill in the distance, it's light causing the dew on the lawn to glisten and shine. Just on top of the hill was a figure, a creature that had never been seen by hunters before.

"An elf?" I asked, to which mother nodded enthusiastically. I peered back out the window, taking in the rare sight. The elf was tall and slender, adorned in many leaves that covered his shoulders and floated down to his ankles. All the colors shone in the rising sun behind him, which reflected off the bow strapped to his back. He rode on a giant white moose, it's antlers reaching upwards and outwards, decorated in small twinkling stones.

"He's scouting," Father whispered.

"Scouting for what?" Anthony asked. Then it hit me.

"For a new home."

***

Sylvia awoke in a very different environment inside the cold damp cell to which she had spent several days. She tried desperately to hold onto the dream for just a second longer, closing her eyes firmly shut and trying to bring the dream back. She tried to remember more of that day, tried to remember her family more. But it soon slipped from her, like sand through her fingers. She sighed, uncurling from the ball she had cocooned herself into. Aliyah would be down soon to resume his pestering questions, and she hoped to be fully clothed before he did.

She got up from the hay mattress on the floor, and went behind the divider. She took her clothes off, and splashed herself with a generous portion of water, trying to rid herself of the stench. The water was cold, and left her body feeling chilled to the bone. She then dried off with the rag they had oh so generously provided her, and got dressed in the clothes she had been captured in. They had taken all her weapons and armor, but left her with her long jons and thermals.

"Dicks," she whispered to herself. She had not left the cell in three days, and was starting to get cabin fever. Right on cue, Aliyah bounces down the stairs.

"Good morning," he sings. Sylvia assumes he's singing to himself, rather than for her sake. He has brought her breakfast and once again, it's bread.

"What does a girl have to do to get some coffee around here?" She grumbles, but accepts the bread anyway. Aliyah looks confused.

"Coffee?" He asks, cocking his head to the side. Sylvia looks at him.

"You're an advanced civilization of humanoids, and you don't even do coffee? How do you all get stuff done!" She says exasperated, upset in accepting the fact she would not be getting a coffee anytime soon.

"We just.... do it?" Aliyah seemed confused at all the references being thrown at him, but pulls up a chair without hesitation. He pulls out all the weapons Sylvia had on her person when captured; her throwing knives, couple of potions, and her beloved dual scimitars.