Some time later: Dae

A/N: it's epilogue time for each of our boys. 

A wrapping up and, let's face it, an excuse for a little kink. Hope you enjoy.

Dae

I didn't want to go to the funeral. Daddy didn't want me to go either. So, at first, it seemed like an easy thing. It wasn't as though there's anyone left there I care about. All my happy memories are so old they're a blur: when Grandfather was still alive, and he would hug me to him and pretend to pull a coin out of my ear. Of my mom before the uppers and the downers took over everything she did. Even my Grandfather's men when I was younger and they would look after me and play games. All of them are long gone.

In the end, it comes down to doing the right thing. Daddy's friend, Weston, asked if we would go and I could speak to Seung. He wants to try and build a case against what he does, and I am all for that.

So far, they haven't been able to get anything on him for the people in the basement, because he has a very good lawyer and was out of the country. All he had to do was deny all knowledge, and he's clever enough that he knows to stick to his claims and deny everything and the police can prove nothing. The men Weston arrested, who were at the house that day, can't help, even if they weren't too afraid to say anything, as Seung has only ever revealed things directly to his closest confidantes, not the grunt men. A clever man.

But he's enraged. Furious. At me, of course, but at the police, too. They kept Chul-moo's body so he couldn't follow the usual funeral processes, and I'm certain Weston did that on purpose. He wants Seung crazed with anger, so he finally does something unguarded and stupid.

I avoid the actual service, so I don't have to see Chul-moo again, in death. I see his picture though, at the house, surrounded by flowers. In it, he looks smug, evil, although I can hear the women talking about how strong and handsome he looks, about what a loss he is, in between their wailing. I'm thankful Seung has chosen the Western method of food offerings in a buffet. I couldn't bear to be forced to sit across from him and eat an entire meal while he fakes emotion as the sangju, or chief mourner. I'm not claiming he isn't genuinely distressed by the death of his son, but everything that man does has an element of control, and nothing is done without purpose.

I'm thankful that it is clear Seung has told very few people what happened to Chul-moo. Instead of the gasps of shock I expect when we arrive, I'm surrounded by grieving women, pulling me to them. I have to weep, if I'm to keep up the effect that will allow me to get closer to Seung without causing a stir, but it feels fake, and I struggle to even make tears fall, though I can wail and bemoan with the best of them. Daddy gets a lot of strange looks, which is to be expected, not only because of his dark skin, but they're wondering who he is to me, why he's by my side. It would have been easier to avoid searching looks by going alone, but I couldn't. I couldn't re-enter this viper's nest without him by my side. He understands, and he doesn't touch me, except to place a soothing hand on my lower back when there's no one to see.

Finally, I make it to Seung, grasping his hands. He has to take mine, if he wants to avoid a scene, and I know he does – the image is all important to him.

"You are a brave little snake, Dae," he says, in Korean.

"Only doing my duty," I lie.

"You take my son from me, and you think you have any place in this household?" he growls, and I embrace the anger he can't help but let free, positioning myself to be sure every word is caught on the wire I'm wearing.

"I know the police told you what he did. Why he died."

"They filled my head with lies. I know my son did nothing to you."