Chapter 3: A real mission

Hank Bodderias, too, wished Vera a happy birthday and had her come to his office for a chat. This was more proof to her that her birthday had changed a few things. For the first time she went alone to the office, without her father.

Hank poured her a glass of lemonade and gave her a package as a birthday present. But this wasn't the reason he had called for her. With his arms placed behind his neck he leaned back in his office chair. "I've heard you are sick of playing the hostage over and over again?"

Vera took a sip of her lemonade and shrugged. "It's just so daft being the only one who gets pushed around and handled like a parcel. I know I'm good at it, you're paying me for it, and I am gracious. But some day I want to do more than just be the little victim."

"I'm with you" Hank assured her. "And now you're not a child anymore. According to Geshtachius Prime law, from this day on you are allowed to start an apprenticeship to a future profession. That being said, as long as your educational marks are in order."

Vera gave him a surprised look. So far that law only meant to her being not allowed to do many things. She wasn't aware that her growing up granted her more rights. "Eh... my educational marks are fine" she declared and thus understated greatly. Every lesson she had taken over the Comm with the Centralius school computer she had passed with distinction. She learned eagerly and with great ambition - after all, her school education would provide her with a way to a fulfilled life. And her best chance to leave this planet and have adventures.

"I'm going to talk this through with your father" Hank went on. "But first I wanted to speak to you. Cause there is one important question I'd like to ask: What would you like to be later?"

Gone away from the farm and this dull planet, Vera thought by herself. But she did her best to look unphased and matured as she gave her reply: "I'm not quite sure. I mean... I could imagine becoming a mercenary."

"Hmm..." Hank hummed a little to himself. "I thought so. But maybe you're not aware of the meaning of this."

"Maybe. But I'm ready to try anyway." Vera wondered what Hank's intention was asking her all that. Did he want to train her? Give her a real chance?

Suddenly he stood up from his chair and walked around Vera, examining her from all sides while brushing his chin in thoughts. "Yes, you would be very well made for this. You learn quickly and adapt well. You are exceptionally bright for a girl your age. And you are not easily intimidated." He tilted his head. "Your attitude towards others is something we should probably work on."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Vera flared up and turned on him rapidly.

"It means you  have kicked a few shins too many, my dear. You have no respect towards authority or rules. When you're not supervised, you are uncontrollable. These are attributes unbecoming a mercenary."

Vera stared at him. "I have gotten better, haven't I?"

"During the last two years?" Hank looked at her over the edge of his thin glasses. Vera tended to forget the fact that under the energetic outside of the academy's head he was indeed an old man. "Maybe it's just because we left you no room to walk to a different drum. After all, I know why your father has brought you here."

Because of the spaceport thing. Vera knew that much. "I was young and dumb" she murmured.

"You are still young" Hank reminded her. "The thing is: Had you thought this through more carefully, you would have succeeded. Had you chosen not to go to the Coock City spaceport, but to the one in Fylliard to the south, you would have been able to avoid their security and board the starship without anyone noticing. That is exactly what keeps your father on his toes."