VI.

Breakfast was a considerably more pleasant affair the next morning, the queen demonstrating little of the animosity which had come to dominate her interactions with the prince over the previous week.

"Last night was rather interesting," he said. "I don't think I've ever heard someone try to recite Shakespearean sonnets and play the violin at the same time. Sort of impressive, in its own way."

She laughed mid-chew, placing her fork down as she fought to swallow her bread. "Yes. Can't blame them for trying, anyway."

"And what about that flautist?" he added with a grin. "I'm all for contemporary, original compositions, but..."

"It sounded like a dying bird," she finished. "A very loud, dying bird."

The princess, perplexed by their easy rapport, was quiet as she picked at her food in-between glances at them.

The queen eyed her with a smile. "Anna? You've hardly touched your toast. That's unlike you."

The younger woman's nose wrinkled. "I'm just surprised," she said with a sniff, staring at her sister suspiciously. "You're not usually so chatty in the morning."

When the queen looked down in embarrassment, the princess quickly added: "Not that that's a bad thing. Actually, I like the change. It's good for us. Plus, who wants to hear me yammer on all the time? We all need a break from that, including me."

"You don't 'yammer,' Anna," the prince protested through a half-smirk. "I like how you talk. It's genuine and... frank."

"He's right," the queen agreed, and admitted: "I can hardly hold a conversation by comparison."

The princess waved away the comments. "I can tell when you're lying, Elsa. And Hans—you're a better liar than she is, but your smooth talk gives you away."

He leveled a lopsided smile at her. "Is that right?"

"It is," she replied, her chin raising with confidence. After a beat, she noted with a sly look: "But don't let that stop you from giving me compliments. Even if they're fake, I'll take 'em."

The prince and the queen chuckled, and as their gazes met, their faces pinked, and they promptly directed their eyes back down at their plates, resuming their meals in silence.

The princess picked up the conversation again a few moments later, relating some anecdotes from her lessons and recent meetings with ambassadors and various nobles. Her sister and the prince nodded along, adding comments occasionally, until the clock struck nine.

The queen blinked. "I lost track of time," she excused herself as she dabbed her lips with a napkin and rose from the table. "I have to be off, now. I'll see you both later."

"Elsa, wait!" her sister called, rising and rushing to her side. A small, furtive smile played on her lips. "Can we talk for a minute?"

The queen glanced at her pocket watch. "Fine. But only for a minute," she agreed, and turned to the prince. "If you'll excuse us, Hans."

He bowed. "Of course."

The princess led her older sister away to a secluded corner of a narrow hallway some distance from the dining room, her eyes bright and curious. "So? Did you two kiss and make up?" She grinned. "I saw you leave together last night at the end of the concert."

The queen's face flushed. "We... came to an understanding of sorts, yes," she replied, and frowned. "But no kissing was involved."

"An 'understanding,' huh?" the princess repeated, her grin growing. "What exactly does that mean, Elsa?"