X.

The prince paused. "That was the start of it all. The breaking point." He looked down at his hands. "I had spent so many years learning to control it, and then hiding it, that I almost forgot about it, after a while. Until that dinner."

The room was silent but for the queen's deep, shuddering breaths, the fireworks long since having ended outside.

"And so you plotted to kill them, one by one. Is that it?"

"Not exactly," he replied. "The first time was—well, there was some planning involved, yes. I sensed that I wouldn't be able to control my powers for much longer, unless I did something. So I waited until the evening that I set sail for Hungary, right before New Year's Eve. I started a few small flames in the corners of my father's, Frederik's, Antoni's, and Harald's residences, and by the time I was gone, they had consumed the rooms."

His eyes moved up to meet hers. "After that, as you might have guessed, my other brothers and their families immediately suspected me of the murders. They wouldn't accuse me publicly for lack of evidence, but the rumors they started were enough to poison my name in the Isles."

"...because they didn't know about your powers," the queen murmured. "That was why you didn't kill them with the others."

"Yes," he nodded, "not at first, anyway. But once I was back home, I knew I would be a hunted man. Guilty or not, they blamed me for their deaths, so I—"

"Had to protect yourself," she finished, her tone dull.

He suppressed a frown. "Yes. Though it did little to quell the rumors, I was at least able to foil several active plots against my life." He sighed. "Those were the first three fires, the details of which I'll spare you. The last one that took Karl and Jesper, I had nothing to do with. Just bad luck."

"Bad luck," she echoed drolly, her lips pressed in a thin line.

"Forgive me for not eulogizing, Elsa," said the prince. "Even if I never intended them to come to harm, they certainly weren't innocent, either."

He was quiet for a time, and his arms relaxed at his sides. "You probably understand, now, that I lied to you when we spoke that first night about where I was during the fires," he said, "and more than likely many of the reports you received from the Isles were fabricated as well. I kept a close eye on correspondence to the palace, and in the disarray following each fire, I managed to forge more than a few letters favoring my version of events. Not that any evidence contradicted what I wrote, of course."

"So you did reply to mine," the queen said, her eyes drifting up to his.

He bowed his head. "In a way, yes. But not as I should have. And for that, I am still sorry."

The clouds parted for a brief moment, allowing the crescent moon in the window behind the prince to cast a wan, ghostly glow across the queen's features.

When it passed, she looked down, her blonde hair hanging loosely around her face.

"What is it that you want me to say, Hans?"

He blinked. "I didn't expect you to say anything in particular, really," he answered as his shoulders sank with fatigue. "I just wanted you to hear me out."

"And so I have," she replied, her gaze tightening. "But I fail to see how you are not still a danger to me or Anna, or to Arendelle."

"Because there is nothing that either of you could do that would move me to use my powers in that way ever again," he countered, taking a cautious step closer to her. "You are the only other person I've ever met with powers that are anything like my own, who understands what it's like to live with them—to be in fear and awe of them at all times."