07

ROSE

Eva and Joseph left shortly after the dinner. It was delicious, and although I never doubted Tobias' cooking skills, he still managed to surprise me and as someone who hated surprises, I was glad he managed to break through it.

He didn't really talk to me, though Joseph seemed interested in the arrangement between the two of us. Eva tried to tell him not to pry and flipped him off a few times, though he didn't actually stop. Instad, he directed his questions towards Tobias who was definitely not interested.

Sunday rolled around quickly. Tobias was a quiet, quiet man. He would speak to me when it was necessary, but refrained from prolonging the conversations. Aside from chatting with Sam once in a while, I was all alone and it was getting harder to get through the days.

''So,'' I began, to at least try and get him to talk to me for more than five minutes, ''Your father is a priest.''

Tobias blinked, and he gave me a look as if to ask me if I was stupid, ''Yes.''

I nodded my head, ''Have you ever considered becoming one yourself?''

He stilled. He was shocked that I asked him such a question, and for a moment, he contemplated the answer. ''Yes. Although, it is something that never seemed to work out for me. As for right now, I am happy just giving a helping hand at church and those in need, while being a lawyer is my primary source of income.''

I took a sip of the coffee, ''That sounds like a lot.''

Tobias raised a curious eyebrow, ''It is, but nothing I can't handle. I've been doing it for years.''

There was the golden opportunity I was looking for, ''Speaking of years, how old are you, exactly?''

''Forty.''

Ah, I already knew that there was an age-gap between us, I just never knew how many years separated us. He was already in university when I was born, and it made me chuckle. Usually, not only would his age be a turn off, so would his personality. Hot and cold wasn't a game I was interested in playing.

''You're...'' I wanted to say old, but bit my tongue at the last second as he shot daggers at my face with the way he looked at me, ''A lot older than I thought.''

He chuckled, ''I get that a lot.''

We were in the living room and I looked around, since the boredom was getting to me. My eyebrows narrowed as I saw that the shelves where the picture frames were standing were now empty. Aside from the books and now some decorative flowers, no pictures were seen.

Who in the world was that woman?

Sadly, Tobias was barely speaking to me as it was, and it wasn't my place nor time to ask him. Though, the thought of snooping around was at the back of my mind at all times, I decided against it, since it would definitely get me kicked out.

''Am I allowed to leave the place?'' Although I was mostly sarcastic, I definitely needed to know if he would let me out or keep me as a prisoner for the duration of my stay.

''Where would you go?''

I shrugged my shoulders, ''I noticed a cute little coffee shop at the town's square when I first arrived, and since it's not so cold outside yet, I wanted to take a walk.''

Tobias blinked, ''You want to take an hour-long walk in one direction? Just for some coffee?'' He thought I was lying to him, and the tone in his voice told me so.

I sighed, ''I've been stuck in this house for a while. I am bored as hell, and I want to see what there is to be seen in the city.''

''Language, Rose.'' Tobias warned, ''And there's not much to see. But, if you truly want to leave, we can go now. I have Sunday's mass in an hour, and I'll drive you and then pick you up.''