What Is My Purpose

The war has yet to cease and I am still at a loss at what to do. The rebel force, 'Summer' has begun its attack on the Ice King's castle through the Cold Front, but the center is still a war zone. I think that would have been a better name than Cold Front. 'War Zone,' for there is never an end to the blood-shedding war there, the cold is obvious. Furthermore, Cold Front sounds like we have quite the disadvantage, I get it though. I hear the fighting has started to seep into the neighboring villages. Soon, it may even end up here. What would I do once that happens? I don't think I have a Will for battle. Ah, but I hear the leader of Summer consists of two people. One with a glorious Will for fighting and the other with a gracious Will to aid and recover.

What a great team. Alrock must be proud of his Crusaders.

My Will has always been that of my writing. That is what Gabrielle tells me. To record what has become of everything. So I ask, why must there be fighting? Why was I brought here? Alone? With no guidance?

But... on another note, I wonder who came up with Summer as their name. That word is almost foreign to everyone here. They only recall it from old tales their grandparents spoke of and the books they dust off for me. God bless the beautiful souls here who took me in more than a year ago as one of their own. Such a peaceful village it is. They avoid battle, keeping to their routine lifestyles so I'm not sure what exactly has been happening during the war, only bits and pieces.  But there are many folks still armed and ready to fight when the time has-

"Noelle," the little girl called out. Her voice was sweet, soft enough to be carried away with the wind.

"Hm?" Noelle answered politely, pausing at the end of her sentence. She twisted her body to greet the small child who poked her head into the tent. "Oh, Gabrielle, what's wrong, Love?"

The girl stepped into the tent with her hands clasped together. She twiddled her thumbs around another, avoiding eye contact in uncertainty. A frosty breeze sweeping the room.

"Come come, you'll freeze if you stand there too long." Noelle motioned for Gabrielle with her free hand. She had been writing in a journal a few minutes before her arrival.

"I wanted to sleep with you tonight, Noelle." Gabrielle finally spoke out shyly.

"Of course you can, Gabby."

I suppose I'll call it a night too. Noelle thought to herself, as she saw the moonlight vaguely through an opening in the tent.

She had been using her bed as a table to write on and moved her things to the ground. Then, tiredly herself, she lifted off the ground and onto the mattress, patting the space in front of her as she eyed the small child who waited patiently.

Gabrielle smiled excitedly, wasting no time to lay next to Noelle and Noelle comfortably wrapped her arms around the girl.

"You're always so warm, Noelle." She whispered as if not to disturb the peace.

"Because my heart is full of you, sweet Gabrielle. Full of your kindness, your gentleness, your love."

Gabrielle snuggled up more into Noelle's chest with a fatigued smile.

"May tomorrow continue to bring us warmth in our hearts," the child recited their common prayer.

"Mm," Noelle responded, thinking about the words deeply.

Alrock, may it be in our Will... that tomorrow, our eyes open.