What Is Lonliness (may edit italics with bolding)

"Yukio?"

"Eliora?"

Yukio called the name out in a familiar response before he could fully comprehend why.

Eliora's face lit up, like a lighthouse that had just spotted a lost ship amongst the waves.

Have we honestly met before?

"I'm so glad to see you, Eliora."

Yukio couldn't yet understand his overly familiar speech, but tears trickled down his cheeks nonetheless as he held onto her.

Eliora squeezed him just as tight. Her body is light and her chest felt soft against his. His heart ached at such a feeling; a feeling all but foreign to him. But a feeling that he now did not wish to let slip away more than anything.

"Yukio... I am too."

Were you alone, too? Is that why you called to me?

He gave the realization some thought, hoping- praying this wasn't a twisted figment of his desperation.

"I'm finally..." he sniffed up snot from his now runny nose, "not alone."

"Don't worry, Yukio," Eliora encouraged him while rubbing his back. "I'm not sure what's going on, but I'll be here for you now."

Do we know each other, don't we?That's Eliora, she's a... friend of mine? We used to play together, talk together, hang out together, right? She kept me company when I was alone, didn't she? But why did I forget? Why can I only remember her face but nothing else? I can't remember what we ever did, just a vague feeling that we spent a long time together.

They took a step back from each other, Eliora beginning to talk plans of their next move.

Yukio's eyes dulled, fixating blankly on her.

Eliora, the name gives my heart warmth. But still, it sends shivers down my arms. A name like that... enchanting it is.

His index finger slightly twitched at his side.

Could she possibly be my reason for surviving here? She may finally be the banisher of my solitude. I should rejoice at such a reunion.

No.

He blinked.

She must be the cause of my loneliness. Yes, the cause of my loneliness. How else would she know me and not be at my side all this time? Ridiculous. All this time. Year after year, alone, fending off the dreadful creatures lurking in the snow.

But.

Even so, there shouldn't be any way I would forget such a face.

His eye twitches once. Twice.

Those beautiful hazel eyes. How could I forget her pretty, brown hair that lays gently atop her shoulders. Such soft-looking creamy lips. He began to lose himself in his head. He couldn't hear any of the words Eliora was telling him. That small but alluring frame... those slender hips. Those-

He stopped.

We?

He only just noticed the last thing Eliora said. She spoke of the men that attacked them. That they should not underestimate them, given that they lack knowledge about what's going on around them and decided it be best that, since it's late in the day, they spend the night safely in the tree.

We?

I have some vague memories of her, but it's all not clear. We couldn't have been that close? Is she plotting something? More importantly, me, sleep with the first person I've ever interacted with? I couldn't possibly...