Chapter Three

The day broke an hour ago and started to run as fast as it could. What it doesn't understand is that I barely slept the night before; I stayed up to finish the dress.

It is ten am and I'm running my fingers over my dress plan to make sure that I didn't forget anything, down to the tiniest detail. Everything is in place, which means I'm done. Peanut places his paw on my foot to assure me of his presence and I smile in response. The silence in the house can only mean one thing-she is still asleep.

I allow myself to breathe and close my tired eyes for a minute. My machine is a few steps away from the sofa that I keep in my office in case I need to rest my back so I find my way over to it and sink into its comfort.

The phone is in the same place that I left it the night before, on the table beside the sofa. "Hey Siri. Call Phoebe."

"Calling Phoebe."

She answers on the second ring. "Good morning, boss. I'm almost at the house."

"Okay." Instead of telling her that it's not a good morning, I put my phone down. I hear the door of my office open and close. It can't be Phoebe, too fast.

"I want to say good morning but you look terrible." The sofa dips beside me and the smell of my favorite coffee hits my nose. "I knew that you would stay up so I got up early to make coffee and breakfast for you."

"You know you didn't have to do that, right?" The moment the warm mug touches my palms, I sigh and lean forward. It's a nice gesture and I try to appreciate it. But the helpless feeling stays with me.

"I know. But I wanted to. You're probably going to start working right away so-oh my GOSH, IS THAT THE DRESS?"

Her sudden change in tone startles me and a little coffee spills into my lap. "Patriciaaaa!"

She says a curse word then it gets muffled. "I'm soo sorry, V."

I groan and put the mug on the table. "I haven't slept and I don't want you to be affected by my mood so please just...stay out of my way today. Please. I have a lot to do."

Silence takes over once more. Then, "okay." Silence again. But I know she's here. I shift in the chair then I feel her lips brush against my left cheek in a kiss.

"I'm sorry," she whispers. Then she leaves, I feel it. My fingers touch the area that she kissed and I smile. She is the sweetest person and having her around is a blessing. I sip the coffee in silence and consider turning on the radio to listen to the news. There is so much going on in the country and it's disheartening but it's better to be aware than be taken by surprise.

Before I can make up my mind, I hear the door open again and close. "Boss."

"Phoebe. My mammie didn't give me that name when she had me. Call me Vivian."

"Someone is grumpy," she mutters as low as she can but I hear it. "I can't call you Vivian, you're the boss. You should be regarded as such."

"If you weren't so good at your job, I'd have you fired." I extend the cup in the direction of her voice and it leaves my hand.

"But I am good at my job. And quite frankly, if you fired me, you'd miss me a lot. Plus, you don't have the time to train another PA."

I wave my hand in the air and grab my cane from beside the chair to stand up. "Yeah, yeah we get it. I want your professional opinion on the dress. I need to bathe."

"Okay. It's practical, in a take-me-serious kind of way but dreamy enough to turn enough heads. I thought the black would have been too much but it's working. With the right hairstyle, you would honestly look like a queen, one in the twenty-first century."