Chapter Eight

I open my eyes and my fingers close over my sheets. The fifteen minutes nap I decided to take stretched over the entire evening. I have no idea what time it is. It does feel good to just lie down and do nothing, with my thoughts as entertainment.

I smile when I remember my afternoon with Travis. There was nothing extra about the lunch but I like the way he was around me. Normal. He didn't make me feel helpless or vulnerable.

The nerves were only present in the beginning but as we spent time together, we started to talk as friends. He remembers most of the things that happened when we were in school and the names of people I had forgotten.

I was almost sad when he had to get back to work. But the good part is, we have another date to look forward to. The word date makes me feel giddy and warm inside. Even though it's pretty clear that he doesn't look at me that way. I mean, I am the one who asked for his number and not the other way around.

If I hadn't, we wouldn't have seen each other again, at least intentionally. It's one of the things I wanted to bring up when we were together but it didn't feel right. There's a whole lot of awkwardness in it and I'm not ready for that.

I sigh and close my eyes. This is the distraction that men bring. First Michael, and now Travis. I will not be sucked in. I open my eyes and remove the blankets from around me. There's business to attend to.

"Hey Siri, call Phoebe."

"Calling Phoebe."

While her phone rings, I slip into a pair of shorts and go into the kitchen. Somewhere in my fridge, there's a bowl of leftover shrimps that need attending to.

"Boss."

"Hi, are you available?" I grab a bottle of water from the sack on the countertop.

"Yes. What do you need?"

"Have you heard anything else from DreamAfrica?"

There is a pause. "No. Should I be expecting anything?"

"Definitely. Michael is not going to give up so easily, I know he has some things up his sleeve. So I want you to schedule a meeting with them tomorrow."

"Oh? Are we accepting the partnership?"

"No. But I want us to go ahead with the show. It will be good for both parties."

I'm not sure about the details yet but I'm willing to discuss it with them. My main aim is to be ahead of them in everything, I don't want any surprises.

"Alright then. Please don't forget, we have to style the models for Ms. Harris jewelry launch on Thursday."

"Yes, I remember. We'll talk about it tomorrow."

"Okay. I have to go now, something...pressing needs my attention."

I raise a brow but decide not to push it. I'll find out later. "Okay. Bye."

For the next few minutes, I focus on getting my shrimps warmed up in the microwave. It's a bit tricky at first but I get the hang of it.

"Hey Siri. Call Patricia."

"Calling Patricia."

I get my plate and phone before heading for the dining room to eat.

"Hey V!"

I roll my eyes at her usual perkiness, a smile on my face. "Hey. You haven't called in forever."

"I'm sorryy, I've been busy at school. Exams and stuff. We're wrapping up the school year and getting ready for prommmm."