Chapter 3

February 16, 2020
4:00 pm

Minho's P.O.V.

I continue flipping through endless amounts of case files as my eyes grow tired and my stomach rumbles from being hungry. Trying to make sense of all the murder cases sitting in front of me, I take another sip of my way-too-cold coffee. The radio mumbles words in the background as I stare at the words on these papers, my lungs interrupting me once again to cough out more flower petals. Maybe Jeongin was right, maybe I should get my hanahaki removed. I've had this for two years, and it's getting to be a pain in my ass. Coughing up flower petals is the last thing I want to do.

My thoughts are interrupted by a soft knock on my door.

"Come in," I answer, my voice sounding a bit harsh. Seungmin opens the door and walks inside, carrying another file and a bag in his hand.

"What's up, Seungmin?" I ask curiously. He sets the file in front of me and puts the bag on the corner of my desk.

"We've been assigned to the new homicide cases. You as lead detective, and me as secondhand. Oh and also, I brought dinner." He replies. I nod as a response, shoving all the other files into a drawer and opening the new one.

"Two new victims found near Han River at 7:00 am...were there any murder weapons or evidence left behind?" I question, looking up at him.

"The only evidence left behind that I could tell was the blood. No murder weapon to be seen." Seungmin explains as he pulls up a chair next to me and sits.

"What about DNA? Anything from a possible suspect left behind?" "Nope. That's what makes this difficult." I run my hands through my hair in frustration.

"Then how are we supposed to catch this guy? If he doesn't leave any evidence behind, how are we supposed to put him behind bars?" Seungmin opens the bag on the desk and starts taking food out.

"I don't know hyung, but we have to solve this before any more people get killed." He replies as he brings out boxes of Chinese takeout. I nod, taking a box and a pair of chopsticks into my hands.

"I got you a Coca-Cola." He says as he hands me the can.

"I don't need a cola, I need a bottle of fucking whiskey." I huff as I snatch the can from him. He goes to the mini fridge in the corner of my office and grabs a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

"Minnie, you're not old enough to drink."

"Who said I would drink it? Besides, I need to have a little fun sometimes."

I smile fondly at him, "I definitely am not a good influence on you."

He laughs, "Nobody is." I take the glasses and pour out the whiskey, handing a glass to him.

"Cheers to trying to solve this case and sleepless nights." I say and we clink our glasses together. We eat and drink and study the file a bit before Seungmin decides to say something.

"You still live alone, right hyung?" He asks.

"Yes, just me and my three cats." I reply.

"Three? I thought you had one."

I gasp and slap his arm playfully, "I have three...Soonie, Doongie, and Dori."

"Oh...I only remember Doongie."

I shake my head laughing, "At least Felix has better memory, he thought I had two." Seungmin laughs in response and goes quiet for a minute.

"Hyung...have you ever been in love?"

"No...why?"

"I was just wondering...I want to be, but with work I don't think I'd have time for the person."

I nod, "I would barely have time to focus on the other person...and I haven't even found the right someone yet," I reply, deep in thought. Seungmin nods and takes another shot of whiskey.

"But whoever gave you the hanahaki is still out there...waiting for you. Has anyone caught your eye lately?" He asks.

"No...well...kind of. There's this new employee at the cafe...he's quite captivating, even though we only exchanged a few words. I think his name is...oh what's his name again?...Jisung? I think that's it." I respond. He ponders on the name.

"Jisung...Han Jisung? The nineteen year old?" Seungmin says.

"Yeah...I think that's his name. Why? Do you know him?"

"He goes to the university. Night classes. I didn't know he was your type."

"He isn't really, but...there's just something about him that pulls me in...something that makes me want to know more about him."

"Maybe it's just your instincts, hyung. You're just curious about him, that's all." Seungmin concludes.

I nod, "Maybe." We study the case a bit more until we've both finished our food.

"I'm gonna head home, hyung. I'll see you in the morning." He packs up and walks to the door.

"Bye Minnie, see you tomorrow." I reply as he walks out and shuts the door behind him. I sigh as I sit back in my chair. This case is going to wrack my brain for the next few weeks. I throw my food away and put the whiskey back in the fridge before putting the file away and packing up my things. I throw on my coat and walk out of my office, locking the door. Walking out of the station, I notice the lab's lights are still on.

Did Felix or Jeongin forget to turn them off? I open the door quietly and look inside. And there's Felix, sitting at the table, asleep with his head lying on his arms. I shake him slightly, and he looks up sleepily.

"Oh hey, Minho hyung." He yawns.

"Felix, what are you still doing here? It's late, and you have school in the morning." I scold him.

"I was trying to do some DNA analysis, but it looks like I fell asleep." He replies.

"Go home and get some sleep, okay? I'm sure Binnie is worried sick about you." I respond as I notice Changbin has flooded Felix's phone with texts and calls. He nods.

"I will hyung, thanks for waking me up."

"No problem, Lix." I smile slightly before walking out into the bitter cold. I get in my car and head back to my apartment, where my cats and a ton of loneliness wait for me. As soon as I walk inside, Soonie pads over to me and walks circles around my legs. I hang my coat up and look down at her.

"Hi Soonie, are you three out of food again?" I coo as I pet her and look at their bowls. She meows and nuzzles her head against my leg.

"I'll fill the bowls up after I shower, okay?" I ask before heading to my room. I undress and get in the shower, the hot water relaxing my muscles. After washing up, I dress in comfortable pajamas and do my skincare routine before walking out to feed my cats.

"Here you are, guys." I say as I fill up the bowls. They meow in reply and start eating as I head to my room again. I crawl underneath the covers and lay on my side, putting my phone on my nightstand before setting the alarm clock and falling asleep.