75

Because I was in first class, pregnant and in a cast, I was the first one off the flight. I looked at my face in the plane's bathroom before we landed and it wasn't getting any prettier. I was in so much pain, all I could focus on was getting off that plane. I wanted to get home. That was my only goal. I wanted to lie down in my bed. 

The doors for arrivals whooshed open, and I saw him standing, a head taller than everyone else in the crowd. He wore a baseball cap and a white t-shirt with a pair of faded jeans. My heart beat faster at the sight of him. Again, shocked by how handsome my husband was. 

His expression didn't change as he watched me approach him. He took in my cast that was in a sling, my bruised cheekbone, the black circles under my eyes. Something in me just went limp seeing him. I wanted to lean up against him, and have him wrap his arms around me. 

"Before you say anything," I started my carefully rehearsed speech. "Alien is fine." 

His nostrils flared, and he looked beyond me for a long moment. I watched him swallow. Swallow down his emotion, his reaction, his need to say anything. Brown eyes looked back at me. Nothing but control there. 

"What happened?" 

"I had a disagreement with Julie. She slapped my face, and I stepped back and tripped over a stool." 

He interrupted. "Jon was there?" 

"It was an accident. I landed on my wrist. It's just a hairline fracture. Nothing to worry about." 

His voice was eerily calm. "Jon let Julie hit you?" 

Oh boy. "He didn't let her. He wasn't even near us. She moved fast." 

"Are you in pain?" 

"Not too bad," I lied. "It smarts a bit but no big deal." 

Uh, more like someone split the bone with a red-hot ax and now burning heat radiated through my entire body in a crushing throb. 

His jaw clenched. He took a deep breath through his nostrils. "Let's get you home." 

He put his arm around me, and I leaned against his strength, inhaling his scent. I could feel my anxiety drain out of me. We found our way to his truck. He gently lifted me into the passenger seat and helped me put my seatbelt on. 

His voice sounded casual. Way too casual. "Did he stay and help?" 

"They were gone when I woke up. Beth was there, and I think that was for the best, don't you?" 

Brown eyes bore into me and then he shut the door. I watched as he walked around to the driver side. He got in, started the truck, and we backed up. He hit the brake and then he drove the truck back into the parking stall. He sat there for a long moment and suddenly without looking at me, he said in a very even voice, "Can you give me a moment?" 

He got out of the truck and slammed the door. Fascinated, I watched him through the windshield. Jordan was gone and in his place was an intense, vibrating Navy SEAL. He looked ferocious. He looked like he wanted to rip someone apart limb from limb with his bare hands. The man had murder in his eyes. He paced back and forth with his hands on his hips while he took deep calming breaths. Then with very controlled movements, he took out his phone and dialed a number. 

His back was to me, so I couldn't hear what he said or who he talked to, but his mannerisms suggested that he was vehement in his message. He clicked off the phone, took off his hat and ran his hand through his messy hair. My heart pounded in my chest as I watched. Jordan was extraordinarily upset. 

Did this mean he cared about us? 

I held my breath as he got back into the truck beside me. He looked over at me and in the most gentle tone, he said. "Why don't we get you home? I have broken my arm before, and I know for a fact your arm is more than smarting." 

I nodded, trying to stop my eyes from filling with tears. We didn't speak all the way back to the base. 

#

When we got home, Jordan took one look at my face and led me upstairs. He helped me get undressed and into bed. 

"Where are you pain meds?" he looked around for my bag. 

I lay on my good shoulder and refrained from panting through the pain. "The doctor said I could take an Advil." 

He stilled and looked at me. "Excuse me?" 

"Pain medication isn't good for Alien. But I can do a Tylenol or Advil."

  "Are you kidding me? Have you had any medication yet?" 

I shook my head. It hurt to move. "No." 

He sat there for a long moment and then dimmed the lamp. "Hang on, okay?" 

He returned with two Advil and a glass of water. I couldn't get them in my body fast enough. 

"I have some heating pads for you," he put a pillow behind my shoulder. I almost wept as I felt a hot pad on the back of my shoulder. He put another one on my neck. Then he put a cool gel ice pack on my cheek. It felt so good I almost wept. 

"Thank you." 

He pulled my good hand into his and started to massage it slowly. I have no idea why, but it made everything feel better. 

"Are you mad?" 

Brown eyes looked at me. "Not at you. Never at you." 

"I'm sorry you're taking care of me again." 

His expression was grim. "Try and sleep, okay?" 

#

I woke up stiff and alone in our bed. The sun had set, and the light was dim outside. My casted arm made it difficult to get dressed, so I simply zipped up one of Jordan's hoodies over my body and pulled up a pair of yoga pants. I found him outside on the porch watching Chloe who lay on the grass. 

He stood up when he heard the back door open. He took my good arm and helped me sit down on the step. We didn't speak. We had so much to say, so much to talk about, but instead, I just leaned into him, and we watched Chloe snap at fireflies that buzzed around her head. 

"How are you feeling?" 

I took a deep breath. I had wanted to show Jordan that I could handle myself in New York. "I feel a bit embarrassed." 

He cocked his head at me. "Why?" 

"I wanted to show you that I could handle this. And I came back mangled." 

He gave me a measured look. "But you took care of stuff." 

"Yeah but...." 

He shook his head. "No buts. Mangled or not, you handled yourself." 

I thought about that for a moment. "Thanks." 

He looked down at my arm. "Are you in pain?" 

I rolled my shoulder. Surprisingly, I didn't feel too bad. "Not really." 

Our eyes met. And then he said something that made my blood run cold. "We need to talk." 

I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment. "Right now?" 

"You owe me a conversation." 

His statement floated between us while I hugged my knees and studied my feet. "Okay."