Twelve

The elevator bell dinged.

It's a sound Max would remember for the rest of his life. That, and the clicking of high heels that followed.

"Well hello, gentlemen."

Max' back was to the door, but Vinicus could see everything clearly. And from the surprised and terrified look on his face, Max was guessing that it wasn't the pizza delivery lady.

"So, Max," the female's voice drawled. It was familiar. Elderly. Condescending. The hair on the back of Max' neck stood on end.

It was Nora.

Before he could realize what was happening, the woman grabbed Max' hair, effectively yanking him backward in his seat. Nora gazed down into his eyes, her glasses on a chain still balanced perfectly on the end of her nose. She may have been petite, but she was terribly strong.

"This doesn't look like you're putting a stop to Cauldwell's nefarious behavior, now does it?" Her voice was like that of every rude elementary school teacher kids everywhere were afraid of. And based on what he had seen, Max was very, very afraid.

Vinicus slowly stood. Max could see a fire in his eyes; the same one that had appeared when he attempted to intimidate Max for the first time. But the boy knew he was in the clear. Vinicus' anger was directed somewhere else now.

"Put. The boy. Down." His voice was quiet; in any other circumstance, it would be difficult to hear him. But the tower that day was silent enough that one could hear the drop of a pin. And Vinicus' voice was just as terrifying as Nora's.

The woman responded with a bone-chilling whisper. "And what ever are you going to do about it?"

With one swift motion, Vinicus' telepathy lifted a coffee table from the back of the room, and yanked it toward Nora's head. But without breaking a sweat, the woman flicked out her own hand, and shot a blast that broke the table in two.

"You have powers?!" Max gasped.

"Oh shut up," Nora replied, yanking on his hair again for good measure.

"I don't think it's going to look too good for you, Madame Mayor," Vinicus stood taller, "when the whole city finds out what you've done to this innocent little boy. I suggest you let him go. Now," Vinicus growled.

Nora chuckled. "What I've done? Oh, you clearly don't understand how publicity works, my dear child. Nora slammed Max' face against the table, giving him a bloody nose. His eyes welled up with tears, but the boy said nothing.

The woman feigned a gasp. "Vinicus!" she whispered, looking at the supervillian in shock. "Whatever would you do that for?"

"You know full well I did nothing of the sort," Vinicus stated. "Let him go."

"Ah," Nora smiled, "but you did. Once I notify the press, that is. Just imagine," she began, waving her other hand through the air. "'Villainous murder strikes yet again; kills a boy of only,'" She lifted Max' head. "How old are you, twerp?"

"Fifteen," he sobbed. Across the table, Max could see Vinicus' eyes flash with anger and pain.

Nora smiled at the supervillain. "Does that sound like good press to you, Mr. Cauldwell?"

But he ignored her question. "What do you want."

Nora released Max, and dusted off her hands-- as if the boy's hair was more tainted than her own morals.

"We can take this one of two ways, sweetheart," she continued, the final word dripping with sarcasm. "Either I shoot him," she pointed a hand at Max, purple sparks crackling between her fingertips, "and everyone believes it was you. You will be killed on the spot, Vinicus Cauldwell, and don't try to deny it. After what you did to that little girl... and your poor, poor father--"

"I didn't kill my father," Vinicus whispered.

"Oh, I know," Nora grinned, smoothing her hair. "I did."

Vinicus looked as though he had been stabbed through the heart.

"Publicity," she shrugged, answering Vinicus' unasked question. "Little brat always got in my way with his AVL nonsense. Wanted to shut down superpowers for good."

"So you killed him?" Vinicus screamed.

Nora shrugged. "Oops." The woman then continued as if nothing had happened. "Or option two. You seem to already be having quite a miserable life, Mr. Cauldwell."

Vinicus was beginning to breathe heavily, his hands clamped against a chair. Max noticed his fingertips sparking blue. He was becoming more and more dangerous.

"Oh, and don't bother shooting me, dearie." Nora mentioned flippantly. "You'll only make it worse for yourself once the police find out you killed the mayor of Murkbourne. Now, option two. I just kill you right now, this little boy gets the credit for saving the day, and we can all go home happily. Well, except for you. You've got a longer journey." She smiled.

"So which will it be?"

Max looked at Vinicus pleadingly. Granted, he didn't want to die. He was very, very afraid. But he didn't want Vinicus to die either.

"How about," Nora began when neither spoke, we play a little game. "I will shoot straight ahead, until one of you wimps steps up and takes the bullet. Does that sound good?"

As the first shot was heard, both men jumped. But inevitably, one was in the front.

And only one was harmed.

"I see you've made your decision," Nora stated, looking down. "Interesting choice. Now, if you'll excuse me," she continued, glancing at her nails. "There's just been a murder. And I ought to call the police."

And after turning on her heel, the woman nonchalantly walked back toward the elevator.