twelve

will is awoken to his phone ringing. he slowly opens his eyes, he is intertwined in matteos arms. he felt  a steady blush rise to his face as he felt matteos skin against his own.

eventually the phone ringing became too consistent to ignore.  he reached over matteos sleeping body and picked it up. mike. for the first time in a month mike was calling him.

why now?

why when he had finally moved on?

after a moments hesitation will answered and held the phone to his ear.

"hey will" mike said, he sounded nervous

"hey uh.." will glanced over at matteo and began to whisper "look im kinda busy right now this isn't the best time to talk"

"busy? it's 8am in the morning will"

"yeah uh, im busy" will said, starting to feel annoyed

"oh." mike said, he sounded angry.

"what did you phone to tell me" will said, desperate to get the call over with as matteo had started to wake

"uh right, im coming to visit el and you over winter break" mike said, in a far too monotone voice for wills liking

"oh that'll be great"

matteo had now woken up, his arms still around wills waist as he sat up, his chin on wills shoulder.

"who you talking to byers?" he asked softly, still half asleep, nearly dozing back off on wills shoulder

"mike from back home" he said smiling at the other boy. "sorry for waking you up so early, especially after last night"

"who's that will" mike asked sharply

"matteo, someone i met here. he's the best" will stated pinching matteos cheek.

"right. i have to go. bye will" and with that mike hung up abruptly.

will frowned down at the phone in his hand, throwing it back onto his nightstand. anger boiled in his stomach.

"he's a dick" matteo said, glaring at the phone

"sometimes"

"you deserve better byers. never settle for less" diaz ruffled wills hair before standing up, the sheets falling off of him leaving will to gaze up at his bare chest.

matteo was fit. six pack and all. wills face flushed as he looked away.

"hey byers, do you have a hoodie i can borrow"

"uh yeah, in my closet"

matteo pulled out a plain green hoodie and put it on, it was so oversized on will that it fit matteo perfectly

"was this mikes" matteo couldn't help but ask when he noticed the size

will laughed bitterly, "nah he took all his hoodies back and gave them to el when they started dating"

matteo rolled his eyes, "i stand corrected, this mike boy is a major dick. feel free to steal my hoodies byers. especially the ones with my last name on it." he sent a cheeky wink wills way

"i'll keep that in mind. you know you're such a dork diaz." will said with a small giggle

"only for you my love"

will sighed, although both boys knew will loved the banter.

"now i remember you telling me i could braid your hair byers. now, sit in the floor." he ordered pushing will gently so he was resting against matteos knees.

"i expect you to adress me as hairdresser matteo from now on"

"matteo they dont call actual hairdressers that"

matteo gently tugged on wills hair, getting an annoyed groan in response. "don't ruin my dream will"

as will say there, matteos hands in his hair. probably braiding it horribly, will had a smile on his face. this was the best morning he'd had in a long while. and he finally let himself hope that this year would be the best one, for sure a lot better than the last.

because now he had matteo diaz, his polar opposite in every way possible yet made him feel safe, balanced and understood.

you know what they say about opposites

they attract.