Heartless

Laxman hesitated. He has never done this before, never had any reason to. He had talked to her about it on several occasions, but this morning when he had got the call from his son, he knew he had to do it. 

Reddy had been selected for the highly coveted research program in Canada, and once he was gone Laxman would never see him again for five to six years. 

As he walked down the familiar halls, the same halls that he had walked for twenty years, a feeling of dread overcame his heart. The words of his wife came back to him, “You know what she will tell you….”

Twenty years, he thought, twenty years he had given to her, never asking for a day off. The sacrifices he had made, the hours he had put in, forgetting even his own family, all that must count for something.

 The dread in his heart increased as he entered the room. 

“Yes Laxman, tell me.”

“My son, he’s,uh, leaving tomorrow, I told you,uh, that I wanted, uh, to see him off, and, uh, I know there is work, but, umm, if it’s possible, uh, just a few hours…..”

“You know that’s not possible. The function is next week and we have lots to do.”

“But…”

“I have this list I need ready by tomorrow. I’m sure your son will understand. “

“Yes, uh, Ma’am”, he choked back his tears.

“Oh, and Laxman…”

“Close the door before you leave”.