Chapter seven

I must have slept off too. I opened my eyes slowly adjusting to the light. Callie was still asleep on my lap. She looked so little and adorable like this. She looked vulnerable too. Nothing like the stubborn sister who acts way mature for her age. I wanted to stand up and go check on mum but I didn't want to wake her up. I just hoped that mum's friend was still around to give her company. I managed to remove my phone from my pocket without waking up Callie. I checked and remembered that I had not responded to most texts and calls I had received. I totally forgot about them when I called Ellie. I texted Lara about everything I knew and she promised that she would come to check on my father during the weekend. I told her she didn't have to but she insisted. I texted everyone else who had called and replied to those who had texted. I had finished texting everyone with exception of only one person. The last thing I wanted was to deal with Austin's endless drama. I leaned back against the wall and I let myself absorb all the pain.
When Callie woke up, we strolled back to dad's ward and we found mum talking to some couple. Callie pushed me in and smiled at the lady and the husband. I was confused because I didn't know who they were. They looked at me and smiled warmly. "This must be Harley," the lady said warmly. My mother ushered me in front of them as she introduced me to them. "You're right this is Harley. And Harley these are our new neighbors. I'm sure Callie mentioned them. Meet Kate and Phil," mum muttered. There was some silence as each one of us wondered what to say next. "Where is Kayden?" Callie asked breaking the silence. "He is out of town," Phil replied. The doctor came in and asked us to step out for some time. We decided to go catch dinner at the restaurant opposite the hospital together with Phil and Kate. They must really be nice people and I couldn't wait to meet their son Kayden. I wondered what he looked like and if we could be friends. I remembered what Callie had said about him. She had said he was as hot as hell.
Phil and Kate walked us back to the hospital where we left mum to watch dad for the night while I and Callie went home. We had wanted to stay but the doctor said the room needed more space. We needn't have to crowd it. We couldn't stay in the corridor because it was too cold leaving us with no option but going home. "I really hope mum is going to be alright back there," I said as I opened the door. Kate came and checked on us before we went to bed and asked us to imform her in case we need anything.
I woke up and I found a note on my bed. It was from Callie. She had left earlier because she needed to watch dad while mum came home to change and take a nap. She didn't want to wake me up because she knew I was exhausted from traveling yesterday and everything that has happened. Honestly I felt much better after waking up. It felt like I had not slept for years and I feel fresh right now. I made breakfast and packed it after I showered. I checked to see if mum was back but she wasn't. I sort of didn't expect her to leave Callie at the hospital. Therefore, I packed her breakfast too. She would come shower after we had breakfast together as family.
We had breakfast together and mum left to go clean up. Dad's situation was stable now but he was still unconscious. We played Monopoly to pass time. Our minds were now drifted away from the situation at hand and it seemed like we were back to the old days where it was just me and my little sister. When the doctor asked us to leave for a moment, we went home for lunch and I also visited Phil and Kate. There house was beautiful and we'll organised. They had transformed it and it looked like nothing from before. There was nothing left to remind me of Leah. I wondered if someone had occupied her room. We baked some cookies with Kate and I couldn't stop admiring her expertise in baking. We packed the cookies and left for the hospital. It was me and Callie to watch dad since mum had a cold. They told her it would be safe to stay away from dad in order to protect him from getting any infections. I was walking in the corridor when Callie came running towards me. I panicked a bit but I relaxed when I realized that she was glowing. "Harley, dad moved his hand." She said breathless. "What?" I screeched. I ran towards the reception and asked for a doctor. He came and examined dad while we watched from the glass. "Your dad is out of danger now. He is going to wake up anytime from now. I'm glad to inform you that his brain is free from all infections now. It is almost a miracle that his brain cells are still very healthy after all the infections he had. When they brought him here, I thought it would be impossible to recover his memories. It is great that he looks ok. Though we will still have to run a few tests on him," said the doctor. I hugged Callie while we jumped around. We called mum to tell her the good news and I could hear her rushing out to tell Kate and Phil. She put the call on hold and I guessed she was talking to them. She finally got back to me, "I'm coming to check on you," she said before cutting the call.
                         ***
I was from changing and taking a nap since I had stayed to watch dad the previous night. I nearly forgot that Lara was coming to check on me. I practically jumped out of bed and rushed to the hospital. I had forgotten my phone there. Lara must have reached by now and trying to reach me. I just hope Callie has helped me out. I reached the hospital and the I saw that no one was in the corridor I wondered if they were inside. I opened the door and I was astounded by who I saw. "Austin?" I had originally planned to call him but it sounded more like a question. He turned and smiled at me. I was amazed and I couldn't stop smiling. Austin stood up and moved towards me. I froze in the moment and I couldn't say or do anything. I simply just watched him as he came closer to me. He hugged me tight like I was going to vanish or something. "I'm really sorry Harley," he whispered. "It's ok, you did nothing wrong. I should be apolosing for over reacting," I hissed back. We went out in the corridor and sat on the bench. " Why didn't you tell me you were coming?" I asked. He just smiled and cupped my face staring into my eyes and then he frowned. "Why do you look like you haven't been eating Harley? Don't tell me your neglecting yourself again," he groaned. I punched him playful on the shoulder. He was dodging my question but I was not letting him go away with it. "Just tell me why you're here and why you didn't tell me that you were coming," I pressed. "Well, it's because.."he started saying but someone interrupted. "Lara, Sherry, Ellie, Skyalar," I screeched running towards them. They were with mum and Callie. They were all holding ice cream and giggling.
"You guys want to give me a heart attack or something?" I joked hugging one at a time. "Why didn't you tell me that you were all coming?" I whined faking annoyance. "Don't act like your not amused to see us," Ellie teased. "Ok, enough of all the emotional displays. My ice cream is melting and I can't wait to have something cool running down my throat," Skyalar lamented. "Skylar...!" I scolded. "Why do you have to be negative all the time?" Ellie added. Both I and Austin were given ice cream while mum and Callie excused themselves. They had there ice cream from Dad's ward while we sat catching up in the corridor. We joked about so many things and this was my happiest day since I learned about my father. Austin was playing with my fingers the whole time. He said nothing much and basically just laughed at the jokes and supplemented a few things we talked about. When the doctor came to check on dad, we all left to go home for lunch. I prepared lunch with Lara and mum while the rest played board games and took walks around the place. When lunch was ready, I called everyone. We made the sleeping arrangements when lunch was done. Austin insisted that they should go check in in a motel or hotel but my mum couldn't let him off the hook easily. She managed to convince them that there was enough room for each of them. Ellie and Austin would sleep in the guest room while Skylar and Sherry  would sleep in Callie's room. I would sleep with Lara and Callie would sleep in my parents bedroom while mum would be staying at the hospital to watch dad.
                        ***
The night was extremely crazy at my house. We played all sorts of games and danced. Skylar perform karaoke together with Callie. Callie was already comfortable with everyone now and everyone seemed to like her. I expected that though because she is really likeable. I went to bed earlier than everyone else since I had to go the hospital very early in the morning. I left after preparing breakfast for everyone and taking some for mum. I reached the ward while mum was rushing out. She was in such a hurry that she bumped into me but she couldn't stop to say sorry or see who she had knocked. I rushed into the room to see what had got her rushing that way. I was taken aback by what I saw. Dad was staring at me. He managed to force a smile. It must have been draining because it was there for only a short time before it vanished. I was so bewildered to do or say anything. I just stood there frozen and smiling with tears rolling down my eyes. I managed to find my legs and moved to his bed. "Thank you dad," I said. I took his hand and added, "For coming back to us. I knew you could fight this. You are the strongest man in this world. Thank you so much,"  I said kissing his forehead and lacing my fingers with his. We remained holding hands till mum came in with a nurse and doctor. Mum hugged me and led me out the ward. We needed to give the doctor time to examine dad. I called Callie and informed her. Within a twinkle of an eye, Callie was in the hospital pacing around the corridor because she couldn't wait to meet dad. I actually doubt she took a minute to shower. She might have just jumped out of the bed took off her pajamas and ran to the hospital. The doctor informed us that we could now enter and see him. Callie was the first to enter and she ran towards him hugging him. My friends joined us a little while later and I introduced them to my father. He said he was feeling exhausted and we left him to sleep.
It was time for my friends to go back to college though. I honestly didn't want them to go back. They were like my hope now. The hours they spent with me made me feel like everything was ok again. They said they would come back the next weekend but I told them it wouldn't be necessary. I didn't want to bother them. I know they were generous and didn't mind traveling again but I knew they had so many things they could have done during the weekend. And making them miss another weekend was not one of my plans. I was not that selfish. They have done what they could and I couldn't be more impressed. I went back to the hospital after seeing them off. Everyone had left apart from Austin. He had insisted that we needed to first talk about everything. He said he would go the next morning. He had gone to pick his stuff from home while I went back to the hospital. He said he couldnt stay at my home again. It would raise so many suspicions since I hadn't told my parents about us yet. He actually didn't want my parents to know that he was still around so he was going to spend the night in a hotel.
I went to meet Austin that evening at the hotel. I was feeling a little nervous about what we were going to talk about. We left so many things hanging when I left college and there was no right time to talk about them since he arrived. I had been ignoring his calls too. I wondered what excuse I'll use for ignoring his calls. I knocked at the room he had booked. I managed to smile despite my nerves. He led me to the bed and and I shivered. "Don't tell me you don't trust me till now," Austin said. "It is not what you think," I replied. "So..?" He said taking a seat next to me. "So..?" I asked confused. He took my hand and kissed it. He then stood up and picked something from his night stand. He handed it to me. "You didn't have to," I argued while opening it. A very beautiful bracelet lay on a small pillow. It had very nice charms too. I kissed him and hugged him chuckling. "Thank you," I said breathing through his neck. "Don't ever do that again Harley. I may not be able to control myself again, "he warned. "Do what again?" I asked feigning innocence. He just shook his head and pulled me on to his lap. He bit my ear and breathed through my neck like I had done. "Don't do that again ok?" He sighed his voice husky. I shivered and let my head fall back on his shoulders. He giggled and pulled me closer to him. "Are we going to talk or your just going to tease me all night?" I accused. I hated it when Austin pretended like I do affect him and yet he remains composed all the time. And I hate it mostly when he teases me back and then make fun of me because of the way I react towards him.
We finally managed to talk after teasing each other and having me fail miserably at controlling myself. I slept with Austin since Callie and mum were both staying at the hospital. They wouldn't notice that I didn't sleep home. I woke to a note Austin had left. I checked the time panicking that mum must have left the hospital and found out that I'm not home. I felt relieved when I saw that it was still early. I wondered why Austin had to leave so early. Maybe he didn't want to miss class. I read the note and it said nothing much.  "You know that I can't wait for Saturday. Love you" and that's all the note said. I felt butterflies flip in my stomach. We had chosen Saturday to be the day we were going to do everything. I would be back to college then since the doctor promised that my dad will be discharged tomorrow. I didn't want to leave him immediately but he said that I had missed so many classes already and it would be very hard for me to catch up. I went home and prepared breakfast like before and went to the hospital so that mum could come and clean up. Dad's situation had improved drastically and he was now as lively as he was before. We parked everything that evening getting ready for dad's dismissal. Dad signed the discharge forms at around noon and left for home. We had organised a simple party to welcome him home. He looked so contented to be home again. Everything seemed to be back to normal now and I couldn't be happier.
                        ***
As Saturday approached, I became more nervous. I kept wondering if it was even proper for people to choose a date for sleeping together. It would make sense if it were a wedding night. I had one more day to think things through and quit but I loved challenging myself so it was not happening. Ellie has been sending me work and trying to explain a few things online so that I didn't have much to catch up on. It had been helping but I missed my friends so much. I was always so bored at home since Callie had resumed school, mum was always off to work and dad too started working from home. I couldn't wait to go back to college. Austin is always texting me all day informing me of how he can't wait for Saturday. His anxiety gave me the courage and I started feeling anxious too.
I figured out a way to make this more interesting.
Harley: Hey lifeline💖
Austin: Hello babes😍
Harley: I'm sorry I can't make it tomorrow.😪
Austin: why? Anything wrong
Harley: something I need to attend to before I leave.
Austin: what's that you have to attend to?
Austin: I thought your dad was fine now.
Harley: Nothing is wrong. Its just something I'll tell you about it next week when I'm back.
Austin: What? You can't make me wait for a whole week
Harley: Don't like like you can't wait. Love you. Got to go😘
Austin: Love you too but please reconsider. Not a week.🤒
I loved that he was missing me alot that he couldn't wait for another week. I had nothing to do anyway and I was going to college on Saturday but I wanted to catch him off guard and surprise him. I missed him so much too. There is nothing that would stop me from going to meet him on Saturday. Everything could wait. I parked everything I had carried and organised my room. I went to bid farewell to Phil and Kate. They informed that Kayden was around but he had gone out for a walk. I tried to wait up on him but I gave up. I needed to catch some sleep since I was going to leave early in morning. I was travelling with my family. Dad insisted that he should thank all my friends who had been there for me.
Lara was still asleep by the time we arrived but this didn't stop her from screaming while jumping around. She called the twins immediately and they came over as soon as they could. My dad thanked them for being very nice friends to me and for always taking care of me. My family stayed for a little while till Ellie arrived too and they left. I had asked Ellie to keep tabs on Austin to make sure he is at his apartment all Saturday. I needed to surprise him. As soon as my parents left, I apologized to my friends and ran to my room to change. I changed into black short shorts and a tank top. I asked Lara to do my makeup and get me super sexy heels. As soon as I felt satisfied with my appearance, I rushed to Austin's apartment. My heart started racing as I reached his building. I felt like I should run back but it was too late the elevator had reached his floor. I couldn't go back after I've reached this far. I checked my makeup and hair then I waited for my breath to even and walked to the door. I just hoped that no one had told him that I was back. I didn't want anyone ruining my surprise. I was about to knock when I heard noises from his room. Someone was screaming his name. I felt my stomach flipping, "it can't be" I muttered to myself. I wondered if I should knock or turn back. I tried to open the door without knocking. To my surprise it was not closed. I opened and peeked inside and what I saw had me crushing onto the floor. I couldn't hold my self anymore. My feet were wobbly and I was feeling dizzy. I felt disgusted and nauseated. Austin was taking Tirzah right on the coach. They were both panting and sweating but they seemed like they couldn't stop. I didn't want to be noticed but when I crushed to the floor, I startled them and they both looked to the direction where the noise came from. And there I was on the floor looking like something had sucked out my life. They both looked like they had seen a ghost. I saw Austin walking towards me and I used the last ounce of energy I had to push my self off the floor and run out. I didn't want him to touch me. I thought I could puke if he did. I ran to the elevator while he went back to his room to dress up since he was completely naked. He ran after me all the way back to my dorm. He was only putting on jeans and no shirt. If I were not this shattered, I would make fun of it. I reached my room and slammed the door after me. I went to my room and then came back to make sure the door was locked. Ellie and Lara were around and they just stared at each other confused.  Hardly had I locked when Austin reached the door and started banging it while calling after me. I sat leaning against the door with my eyes closed while I listened to him saying he was sorry. After a couple of minutes he left and I remained there staring into space. "This can't be happening to me," I mumured to myself. Ellie and Lara hadn't said anything to me yet. They were just staring waiting for me to say something. I couldn't say anything yet, the image of Tirzah bent on the coach while Austin was taking her was still stuck in my mind. I tried to blink rapidly so that it could go away but it wasn't. I stood up and went to my bed and cried into the pillow. I wanted the tears to wash away that image. The more I saw it, the more I felt a piece of my heart getting ripped off. I heard Ellie leaving. I knew he hated to see me cry and he would kill Austin if I told him what had happened while I'm crying. Lara came to my bed and hugged me. "Lara, why did he do that to me? Couldn't he wait for a few more days. Why Lara?" I cried. "It's ok Harley. Everything is going to be ok. You don't have to say anything now. You first calm down." Lara comforted me.  I couldn't stop crying though. I've never cried so much in my life. I only stopped crying when Lara brought me something to eat. I tried to eat but everything tasted awful. I tried sleeping but I still dreamt when Tirzah was with Austin. I woke up crying and I went to get a glass of water. I stopped when I heard Lara screaming at someone in corridor. She sounded so angry and furious. I had never seen Lara so upset and I wondered who it was but when I heard who the other person was, I ran to the bathroom and threw up. I sat on the bathroom floor and cried once again. I opened the shower and let my self get drenched. I wondered if I'll ever feel more hurt than I'm feeling right now. I don't know how long I stayed seated under the shower but I only realized that I had spent alot of time there when Lara came in with a towel. She helped me up and dried my hair while I stepped out of my clothes. I discovered that she had a bruise on her knuckles and I wondered why. I wanted to ask her but I didn't feel like talking yet. I got out of the bathroom and changed into my pajamas and went to bed. I didn't want to sleep but I didn't want to deal with anything. I just stayed in bed while tears rolled down my eyes. My pillow was drenched in tears by day time. I didn't sleep all night. Everytime I tried to close my eyes, all I could see is Tirzah and Austin. I had heard Lara leaving for church but I had pretended to be asleep. She had checked on me before leaving. I  remained in bed till Lara came back. She forced me to go get a proper shower and eat. I really didn't want to do anything but I knew Lara wouldn't spare me. She acted so fierce sometimes and I wondered if anything could make her cry. She always looked composed even when she was having thousands of problems.
"Lara, can I ask you something?" I asked joining her on the bed. "Yes dear, you can ask anything" she replied. "Why don't you blame me? Why can't you remind me that you warned me?" I said  staring right into her eyes. At first she looked like she didn't understand what I talking about but then she she smiled and took my hand. "Do you really want me to blame you?" She asked. " Look here Harley. I know you feel like you're to be blamed but I want to assure you that this ain't your fault at all. It's not your fault that you loved. It's not your fault that you trusted him. I can't blame you just because I warned you. I should actually be more proud of you because you chose to love. You really fought for the one you love. It's rare to find a person like you. Sometimes I envied you. You are too soft but beneath that, there is a person who is willing to push no matter the obstacles. What you did was not wrong. If you never try, you never know what something is going to be. You would have probably regretted throughout your life if you hadn't taken a chance to make it work, you would have wondered if it would have worked. There is no day I've stopped you from crying Harley. I've always encouraged you to cry and let the pain out. But today I want to tell you this," She said cupping my face and continued "this should be the last day you should cry for him. I'm not going to tell you that I warned you. But remember that he is not worth it. Everytime you feel like you should try to make it work, just ask yourself if what you go through is worth it." I hugged her and lay my head on her shoulder and watched the darkness creep in.

       Thanks for your time❣️
Keep the fun going⏩ glad you're enjoying. Feel free to comment and like