eight.

GIVING UP ON YOU WAS LIKE GIVING UP ON LIFE,
I'VE NEVER HAD THE COURAGE.
I WISH IT WAS AS EASY AS GIVING UP ON MYSELF//

08: pride

IT TAKES TWO WEEKS, twenty-five text messages, fifteen missed calls, five voice mails, and two handwritten letters for Mel to forgive Mamés.

Mel's anger is usually an explosive thing—ripping and ripping and ripping and tearing and tearing and tearing and tearing. A painfully horrible thing, like someone's reaching into his chest and squeezing so hard he's about to burst. Or drowning—helplessly struggling even when it's futile. You keep struggling. It was nearly one of the worst yet: his school locker code changed. His notebooks were missing and sometimes torn, his social media passwords changed. The sadness filled his body, every corner and every crevice, heavy and wet—knowing was her but wishing it wasn't.

The only thing that delivered him from the blackest, blackest time of his life was: Ana. She messaged him (nearly) every night.

Monday, 7:59 pm

Ana: IF THE WORLD WAS ENDING AND YOU COULD WATCH ONE LAST PERFORMANCE LIVE. WHO WOULD IT BE?

Mamés: I'm disappointed. Are we really going to skip over the awkward: (hi, hi/ what you up to/ nothing you? Same)? It's my favourite part.

Ana: YOU SOUND A LOT MORE SARCASTIC OVER THE PHONE, IS THAT JUST A TEENAGER THING OR ARE YOU ON YOUR PERIOD? YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS!!!

Mamés: I can't type that fast!!

Mamés: Celine Dion and Whitney Houston.

Ana:

She didn't reply for the longest time and Mamés wondered what face she was making. He swallowed the laughter rising in his chest for the first time that day.

Mamés: Disappointed?

Ana: SHOCKED ACTUALLY. I WAS SURE YOU WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE 1975 OR FLEETWOOD.

Mamés: They would definitely make my top ten. But if the world was ending I would like some soul, maybe even some gospel. Same question, but you have to pick a dead artist.

Ana: AMY WHINEHOUSE.

Mamés:

Ana: SURPRISED?

Mamés: Nope. I saw her shrine on your iPod, remember?

Ana: THE DEVICE YOU REFUSE TO RETURN. OH I REMEMBER ALRIGHT.

Mamés: Anyway. Can I ask you a question ANA? You know since we are friends and all.

Ana: I KNEW I WAS GOING TO REGRET DOING THAT.

Mamés: Why do you keep using shouty capital letters? It feels like I am being yelled at.

Ana: THERE'S NO PLACE ON THE INTERNET WHERE I DON'T GET SLAPPED WITH LOWERCASE NOW AND QUITE FRANKLY I'VE HAD ENOUGH SO I'M REBELLING.

Mamés: So it bothers you?

Ana: PROBABLY MORE THAN IT SHOULD.