10

ROSE

I should've been used to by now that life could be, sometimes, unexpected.

As I was sitting across from my brother, with my legs crossed, arms folded in front of my chest and a resting bitch face, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He looked awkwardly shy, as if we had met for the first time.

We were in the coffee shop I was with Evangelia two days ago, and now that he was in front of me, after not seeing him for a while, only one thing kept replaying in my mind. Was Ryland always as pathetic looking as he was now?

This morning, around an hour and a half ago, he simply showed up in front of Toby's house. Tobias was surprised to see him, but only told him to bring me back before the sun went down completely.

''So, what do you want?'' I asked, wanting to get this meeting over before it started.

Ryland took a sip of his coffee, ''I just wanted to see you.''

Somehow, he looked honest, yet I knew better than to believe in such a blatant lie. His eyes were always the only indicator of his lies, and now, I was unable to find a single trace of him being dishonest. I didn't like that.

''And you expect me to believe that?'' I snorted, ''And you're not here to see grandmother either. If the two of us share anything in common, it's the hatred towards that evil woman. So, spill. What's going on?''

Ryland rolled his eyes before he took a deep breath, ''Mom and dad are getting a divorce.''

My eyebrows raised to the roof and my mouth parted. The laughter I released was not something I could've held back, ''It's about damn time. What's the reason, though? I thought they were seeing a therapist.''

''From what dad told me, mom refused to listen to the therapist and their relationship declined. He doesn't want to put up with verbal abuse from her anymore, and mom isn't saying anything. He served her the papers yesterday and she hasn't left the room since.''

''Wait,'' Suddenly, I was afraid of the outcome, ''Where does that leave us, me, in particular? They share the company so what now?''

''That's what I wanted to discuss with you.'' He cleared his throat, ''They agreed to retire as soon as the divorce is finalized and they will split the company shares between you and me. I want to buy off your part.''

I scoffed, ''In your dreams, buddy.''

He rolled his eyes, ''Just think about it, at least. You'll be given more than enough money to spend the rest of your life comfortably, to travel the world and buy all the designer clothes you want.''

I tilted my head to the side, and smirked, ''Yes, but that money is nothing compared to what I could make if I took over the company completely. I'm not an idiot, Ryland. I know what your end goal here is, and it's not working.''

My brother took a deep breath before exhaling it and trying to reason with me, ''Name your price and I will double it.''

I smiled, ''Okay. Where does all of this money come from? If you're that wealthy you shouldn't have any issues starting a business of your own and not taking my share.''

His jaw clenched.

I gave him a wide grin, ''But you wanted to use the company's funds to pay me off and then pray to God that you'd manage to get all of that money back? No, thank you, Ryland. With that way of thinking, the company is already burnt to the ground.''

''Listen.''

He began to speak but I took the last sip of my coffee and stood up, ''This conversation is over, Ryland. If anyone is buying anything, it will be me buying off your shares. Goodbye.''