5

Chapter 4: A Dream in the River of Forgetfulness

I knocked on the vermillion gates of the Estate of Conjugal Bliss, and the little immortal gatekeeper paused in surprise when he saw me. With a red face, he bashfully said: "Did this immortal lady came to find my immortal lord? Unfortunately, my immortal lord has a guest today, why don't you come back another day?"

Eh? I've been coming in and out of this Estate of Conjugal Bliss for a hundred years, and this little immortal servant always holds the door. Why does he not seem to recognize me today? Unless... I gazed at him with pity, it seems that the fox immortal's poor memory is contagious.

"I am Jin Mi. Since Yue Xia Xian Ren has an appointment with someone else, I will come again tomorrow."

The little immortal gatekeeper opened his mouth wide, and stood there like a wooden pole.

By the time that I turned to leave, that wooden pole directly reached out a hand to stop me, but suddenly, perhaps because he did not think it was appropriate, he withdrew his hand and worriedly said: "Jin... Jin... Jin Mi?!"

I nodded my head pityingly.

He also muttered pityingly: "A boy turned into a girl indeed, a boy turned into a girl, a boy turned into a girl, things aren't like they used to be..."

Just at that very moment when we were pitying each other, the fox immortal arrived before I was announced: "Has Jin Mi arrived?"

Before I had the chance to answer him, the fox immortal had already floated to the gate on a sunset-red cloud. Upon seeing my face, he also paused in surprise, and then, he slowly looked me over: "Tch, tch, tch! The baby girl that my Xu Feng raised! Very effective, very effective!"

I suddenly felt that something was wrong and I touched my head. The Spirit-Sealing Hairpin that I had put on this morning was gone, no wonder these two did not recognize me. Perhaps the hairpin fell off when I was riding on the cloud. Whatever, it's only a hairpin.

I laughed and saw that immortal servant breathe in deeply and turned away. The fox immortal earnestly said: "Come in, come in, we'll talk inside."

I saw that the fox immortal looked a lot thinner than before, his sleeves were drifting about, and his tail was also not as fluffy and smooth, so I congratulated him: "Yue Xia Xian Ren's diet was successful. That is something worthy of celebrating."

Slighted, the fox immortal stopped walking and stared at me: "Was I really that chubby before?"

Not waiting for me to respond, he continued to say: "It's all that Bird Clan's fault. For the past few days, the chickens that they've sent are all smaller than pigeons and so thin that it strikes terror into a person's heart. I've been going hungry for several days and often am awaken by hunger during the night. A few days ago, I fainted from hunger and even missed your important matter."

No wonder he only called me over today.

"Eh, is it bird flu?" I asked.

"No, it's a long story. I heard that a hundred years ago, a crow from the Bird Clan captured a fairy from the Flower World. The Flower World's First Flower Lady Mu Dan went to demand her back, and the Bird Clan went into every unhatched egg and asked them, but every one of them said that they did not do such a thing. The First Flower Lady insisted and said that a little flower fairy saw the whole thing. The chief of the Bird Clan indignantly contradicted her and the First Flower Lady became angry, saying that the Bird Clan's peacock chief was covering up for his subordinates, causing ill-will between the two sides. In the past, the Bird Clan's main source of food besides little bugs was flowers, fruits, grains and seeds. Recently, the First Flower Lady cut off the Bird Clan's feed, saying that for every day the Bird Clan does not hand over the little flower fairy, the Flower World will not provide food for them."