An Introverted Proposal

(AT [alternate timeline] because I'm in denial, fight me; also Nad's selective stutter appears less when talking to only Magnus, I swear I can still write it)

Magnus spun the book of the dead around on its pedestal, the pages waving along with the manufactured wind. Round and round and round and rou- they were starting to feel like Solis. They huffed out a breath, sat on the floor and lightly kicked the foundation.

Staying in the room was starting to become boring, a realization that was both surprising and terrifying. Their bedroom, whether here at the pyramid or back home in Egypt, was always their safe sanctuary. A place to keep the noise, and Solis, out; with the only other presence being Inpu's calm demeanor. Maybe the common room, if everyone kept out of Magnus' way.

But it was their room that was their favorite place. And never have they ever felt bored in it. Especially when there was an entire wall of books to read. Now, it felt suffocating; the sandstone walls too solid and the room too hot. Even their brother not being there felt uncommonly lonely.

They still weren't going to unlock the door.

A knock at said door jolted them out of their mental break and they forced away a scowl. "Who is it?" they asked. If it was Inpu, he would've already asked to be let back inside.

"It's Nad," came through the sand-built door with no further explanation. Magnus waited for a few beats, waiting for him to say anything else but he didn't. With a sigh, they got up and went to open the door. Moving only their eyes and not their head, they stared up at him.

"What is it?"

"Well hello to you too," he said, smiling and Magnus' mouth twisted. "How are you feeling?"

They shrugged. "Fine. I still don't feel any different."

"Momiji did say you might not notice any difference. Has your brother said anything about it?"

They hesitated for a moment which didn't go unnoticed. "Noooo."

Nad raised an eyebrow. "Has anyone told you you're not a good- you're not a very convincing liar?"

They pressed their lips together but could feel them trying to curl up into a smile. "I can lie," they drew out.

"Uh huh, I definitely- I definitely believe that. Wait isn't your dad the one who judges people? I would think- I would imagine that involves lying."

Magnus shuddered. "Don't mention it. What are you here for?"

"Two things. One, I brought you this." He held out a black lump of something that looked woven and Magnus gingerly took it.

They ran their fingers along it, out of Nad's sight, and it felt soft and warm under their touch. They untangled it and the lump unfurled into a long rectangle of wool.

"I highly doubt you'll be going back to Helheim or the mountains again, but if you- but just in case you do need to go to another Norse realm, I got you a scarf. That Hermes kid- Inmo I think it was -helped me get a hold of it."

Magnus clutched the scarf in their hands, a mixture of normal and abnormal feelings rushing through their brain. It was the first and only warm clothing they'd ever had and something in them was sparking loud happiness; an overwhelmingly new and not-right inkling. As did the prospect of wanting to go back to the wet, freezing snow.

But one feeling did seem familiar. They wrapped the scarf around their hands and wrists, looking everywhere in front of them except Nad's face. "Thanks. I...appreciate it."

"It's no problem, just don't want you to- I don't want you to be close to becoming a popsicle again."

"What was the other thing? You said there were two."

"Huh? Oh that!" Something flashed in his eyes and he cleared his throat. "Would you like to go...to Aphrodite's Ball with me?"

Magnus' heart short-circuited. Which they didn't even know it could do. "Excuse me?"

"The next trial is apparently a ball, which shouldn't be surprising considering who's hosting it but still. But would you like to-like to go? With me?"

He said it so straightforward and normal, as if he was asking them what the weather was like that morning. Every instinct in them was screaming NO while thoughts that didn't seem like their own were barreling right over them, chanting yes. Just remembering the first 'trial', being surrounded by people the whole time, having to actually talk to them all whilst failing to hide behind Inpu, set off red alarms in their head.

Magnus snuck a glance at Nad. He was patiently waiting, face hopeful but previous experience with him made them think he would be okay with a no. Any other event, minus the other tens of campers, they'd consider otherwise but...

They fidgeted, toying with the scarf still wrapped around their hands. "I don't...really like crowds or lots of people. Or loud noises or...really hyper environments."

"Sooo places that resemble Solis?"

Harsh, but true. They loved Solis dearly, he was family, but there was only so much of him they could take at one time. "Yeah."

Nad nodded, understanding and Magnus breathed a sigh of relief, even if a tiny sliver of disappointment adorned both their faces. "I figured you wouldn't want to- you wouldn't be interested in another festival full of people. I was asleep most of- a good bit during the last one. We don't have to go to the ball if you don't want to."

Magnus' head snapped up. "Really?" they asked in disbelief, suspiciously unconvinced. Rarely anyone except Inpu ever gave them an alternative.

"Sure, not like it's a trial that can get our pantheons points. Besides I- besides I'm asking because I want to spend time with you, doesn't mean that has to be at a ball."

"...Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you want to spend time with me?"

He looked at them as genuinely confused as they felt. "Because I enjoy being around you? You're one of the few people around here that actually listen to me, which isn't some- isn't something I'm used to. Plus you're pretty interesting to hang out with and talk to. Our little adventure to get the rune was a little- was a mess, what with me going berserk, but besides that it was fun."

Magnus' grip on their scarf loosened along with their resolve. "It was still cold."

Nad chuckled. "Aaaand I promise not to bring you anywhere with snow."

They shrugged. "Maybe snow wouldn't be too bad," they heard themselves say.

"Okay now we should probably concern Inpu. Sooo is that a yes?"

Alone time with Nad. Just the two of them, maybe their brother and Bryan too if Inpu got too worried about their well being during the ball. That was fine. Magnus could handle that.

They nodded. "Sure. We can...hang out the night of the ball."

Nad's smile grew and suddenly he wasn't in front of them anymore. Magnus took a step back, only slightly bewildered, before he came landing back down. He laughed sheepishly. "Sorry, still getting control of the jumping thing. I'll pick you up before the ball and we'll- we can go wherever you want far away from there."

He waved and made to leave. As soon he reached the stairs, Magnus rushed inside their room and closed the door. Sitting back down by the book, Magnus stared at the scarf before wrapping it around their neck and burying their face in the fabric.