Chapter Thirty One

26 years old

26 years old

I was on cloud fucking nine. Paradise was surrounding me. Pure bliss rolled through me like a tsunami. She was mine again. Teresa-James O'Dell was all mine and I wasn't about to let her get away. Never again. There was just one hiccup I refused to notice. Maybe two given the sour look on Oliver's face as he stalked into the heart of the clubhouse. His eyes flicked to me for only a split second before he beelined for some food.

Roco, being the man who vouched for me since I rolled into town, was the first to pat me on the back. One by one the men shared their praises and muttered how peaceful things would be going forward. I kicked Anchor's boots when he asked why she would take me back. He let out a deep chuckle as he waved me off.

When Oliver didn't say anything and chose to sit at the bar with his food, I dared to venture over. I sat beside him, staring in the mirror at our reflections. The lack of conversation chipped away at the high TJ had left behind.

"What's going through that head of yours, man?"

"Nothing," my friend grumbled, shoving a fork full of eggs into his mouth.

"It's got to be something." I nudged him with my elbow and he shifted farther away. "The hell crawled up your ass?"

"Back off."

"I thought you wanted us to fix things?"

"I wanted you to leave things in the past so both of you could move on with your lives." His dark eyes met mine in the mirror. "Not once did I say I wanted you to get back together."

"What's wrong with that?"

"Are you kidding?" He finally turned to face my true form. Heated daggers were trained on me as he spat the next words. "Have either of you thought things through? Where are you going to live? Will the country stray be moving to the city? What about work? There's not too many law firms looking for a baby faced lawyer."

"You really can't let this be a good thing, can you? You always have to rain on anything that makes others happy."

"I told you ten years ago." His voice changed to be less hostile, but just as confident. "My support will always be behind that girl. If that means dragging her back to reality, then I'll do it. You can call me a jackass all you want. I'm not letting her get hurt when you bail again because it's too much work."

His claim sent my pleasant mood up in smoke. Flames lapping at the cloud I had been determined to stay on for the rest of my life. Dreams of a future with my fox turned to ash. The bastard didn't seem to care what effect his ugly truth had on me. I wanted to remind him I wasn't the same boy I had been back then. That my heart was ripped out the minute I left TJ's side that day. The pain that I forced onto her matched my own.

"You forget man," I slipped off the stool, "I support her too. If that means hanging up the cut and living in the city then bring it on. I'll be damned if I make the mistake twice."