When You're Feeling Safe

It was around six in the morning, maybe, as Logan carried Thomas to wherever they were going. Thomas was exhausted and that half-second he got of sleep before Logan burst into his room definitely wasn't making this any better. The adrenaline was vanishing quickly and the teen felt himself sink deeper and deeper into unconsciousness.

Somewhere in the distance, the sun was rising. It was far more orange than the normal sun but that might just be because it was dawn or because they were in another dimension. Probably the second one. His limbs were exhausted and dead. They hung heavily in Logan's' arms and Thomas really just wanted to... fall... asleep...

Patton was knocking on a door when he passed out.

~('3')~

Thomas opened his eyes slowly, to see his brother sleeping beside him. "Logan?" He asked, voice croaky and throat sore.

"What?" Logan mumbled.

"We're in an alternate reality."

Logan rolled over. "Tell me something I don't know."

"We're wanted by the government of this reality."

"I'd like to refer you to my previous statement."

Thomas sighed and slowly nudged his brother's' shoulder. "Logan, I still feel really scared."

"Thomas, please, I'm just as exhausted as you. Just let me sleep a little longer."

After a moment of hesitation, Thomas rolled away from his brother, listening to Logan's' breathing evening out as the other quickly fell back asleep. Sighing heavily, Thomas wormed his way into a sitting position and looked around the room. It had a brown, comforting vibe to it, like those taverns you see in fantasy movies. A window, with the curtains drawn, sat on the wall to his left and a door on his right opened slowly, to reveal Patton peaking inside.

"Hey, kiddos," Patton whispered, upon noticing Thomas awake. "How are you doing?"

"Honestly?" Said Thomas. "I really feel like vomiting, my brain has just registered what's happened."

Patton nodded slowly, moving over carefully to Thomas. "That's completely reasonable, kiddo. I can help you calm down, if you want. I did it all the time back on the ship."

Thomas only shook his head numbly. "Where are we?"

The older man smiled. "We're at a civilian's' place. I organised staying here afterwards until we could move on."

"Why a civilian?" Thomas asked.

Patton sighed softly. "No one likes Prime Morria, except those who get rewarded for serving her. These people are scared and anti-Prime activists are welcome because we're trying to keep them safe. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the people of this city ratted us out. Betray or be betrayed," The other looked down sadly at his hands. "It's been like that for so long. When you're feeling safe, you're the most vulnerable one there. That's something we said, back when we were steam pirates..."

Thomas was about to reply when the door bounced open again.

It was Roman, eyebrows knitted together in concern. "Padre," He said. "We've got a problem."

I know, it's short, but exposition-